Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    At a slight risk of thread drift is the Garry accessible? Pre Hydro it was the best spring fly fishing in Scotland, allegedly.
    Depends what Garry you mean Andrew, Perthshire or Invernesshire?
    The Garry with the reputation you refer is the Perthshire version, effectively completely destroyed for spring fishing and for summer and river fish autumn fishing above the junction of the Tilt.
    Caused, of course, by the absolute criminal design of the Tummell hydro project.
    Recently rewatered to an extent, it remains pretty much useless for salmon angling above the confluence even though fish do now run it to spawn. The extra water is simply enough to allow passage over previously impassable obstacles. In any case, regardless of this, spring fish would never enter the river prior to May due to the Pitlochry dam temperature barrier. Fish can be caught in the lower Garry from mid May.
    The Invernesshire Garry, on the other hand, remains a known spring river, I just don't know how good it is nowadays. Again, local knowledge required.
    Last edited by keirstream; 10-01-2019 at 11:00 PM.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    Depends what Garry you mean Andrew, Perthshire or Invernesshire?
    The Garry with the reputation you refer is the Perthshire version, effectively completely destroyed for spring fishing and for summer and river fish autumn fishing above the junction of the Tilt.
    Caused, of course, by the absolute criminal design of the Tummell hydro project.
    Recently rewatered to an extent, it remains pretty much useless for salmon angling above the confluence even though fish do now run it to spawn. The extra water is simply enough to allow passage over previously impassable obstacles. In any case, regardless of this, spring fish would never enter the river prior to May due to the Pitlochry dam temperature barrier. Fish can be caught in the lower Garry from mid May.
    The Invernesshire Garry, on the other hand, remains a known spring river, I just don't know how good it is nowadays. Again, local knowledge required.

I was thinking of Inverness-shire. When I was even younger I read the Duke of Portland's memoir: "50 years of sport and more in the Scottish highlands". The catches on the Garry were unbelievable with fish averaging close to 20lbs caught in numbers on fly without boats by two rods and all springers. It would be hard to imagine anything much better than that. Pre Hydro Awe in June or July maybe. I've often wondered if the damned dams had completely ruined it or if it still produces some good fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    I was thinking of Inverness-shire. When I was even younger I read the Duke of Portland's memoir: "50 years of sport and more in the Scottish highlands". The catches on the Garry were unbelievable with fish averaging close to 20lbs caught in numbers on fly without boats by two rods and all springers. It would be hard to imagine anything much better than that. Pre Hydro Awe in June or July maybe. I've often wondered if the damned dams had completely ruined it or if it still produces some good fishing.
    Absolutely, but then again, Osgood MacKenzie spoke of helping his fathers netsmen hauling 300 fish in a single sweep out of the Ewe, some over 30lbs. Those days, unfortunately, are well gone.
    Both rivers had a fearsome reputation pre hydro, times have well changed.
    Last edited by keirstream; 10-01-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Couldn't get any availability on the Morriston for my dates so booked the oich instead! Fingers crossed

Tying myself a nice big copper tube Alistair as we speak 👌

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12