Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I live in Perth but work in the centre of Edinburgh.
    Iím in a couple of clubs and fish a lot over the club stuff.
    Happy to take you through the alternatives etc.
    PM me if you want to.
    Neil

If you are based in Embro , you have great fishings within 1 1/2 of home. The most effective learning curve to catch salmon is to know a beat and learn its different catching heights and moods. All ghillies will tell you that, but that is expensive knowledge , when local club members will give that information (sometimes too much info) freely. My advice is to choose a water that produces a decent 5 year average of salmon and get to know it ; low , med and high water /Spring /summer /Autumn. After a couple of seasons , you will catch salmon, and have learned loads.
    Ps don't hitch your boat to the fly only brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Holroyd View Post
    If you are based in Embro , you have great fishings within 1 1/2 of home. The most effective learning curve to catch salmon is to know a beat and learn its different catching heights and moods. All ghillies will tell you that, but that is expensive knowledge , when local club members will give that info4rmation (sometimes too much info) freely. My advice is to choose a water that produces a decent 5 year average of salmon and get to know it ; low , med and high water /Spring /summer /Autumn. After a couple of seasons , you will catch salmon, and have learned loads.
    Ps don't hitch your boat to the fly only brigade.
    I agree with that Jack.
    Some of the best learning I've done is with a trout rod in my hand. Get on a river on its bare bones and wade through the pools (when no one else is about so you don't disturb their fishing ). Take notes, take pictures. It gives you a much better understanding of what is going on down there when there is a couple feet of water on. The trout rod, that's just an excuse for being there.
    I've done this on the nith for a number of years and it has certainly benefited me.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

Quote Originally Posted by lightlines View Post
    sorry, that's a very fair point i forgot to mention. I live in Edinburgh - so the majority of my "regular" fishing experience has been on the Tay or Tweed. Both have been relatively equidistant. on a good morning bits of the Tay i can reach in just over an hour. Further up the A9 maybe an hour and a half or so. all quite reasonable if youre up and out the door early.

Tweed i discovered later in the season after the Tay closed and again nothing was much further than an hour and a half.

Venturing to the Spey or Dee was more of a planned trip during holiday periods and took more planning and driving, often involving overnights and extra cost. As was a few days on the Annan ( where i caught a few Trout!)

thanks so far for the helpful responses!
    I would have a look on the clubs on the Teviot and Till and also on the Clyde.

Default Perth and District Anglers 2019

Happy New Year to all in pursuit of that elusive
    Prize catch of an Atlantic Salmon.
    Time once more to see if I can persuade a few more
    Of you to join one of the best value clubs in Scotland
    For fishing
    Okay bad news first due to circumstances beyond our
    Control we have lost murthly this year and also
    The Isla.
    Good news is we have secured spring fishing on
    Dalguise beat and for summer /late summer we have
    Also managed to get rods on fishponds beat.
    Murthly was a beat our members loved but the two
    New ones I'm sure will make up for it.
    Not going to blether any more if you have a look at the
    Website and are interested and need more information then send me a message.
    Happy for you to call me to discuss.

Bdaa have plenty water on the whiteadder, thereís flodden syndicate on the till. Iíve fished both. Youíll catch salmon if thereís water in and if you have a dry year youíve got night fishing for the sea trout. Both small rivers tho so an 11ft Switch rod is big enough. Youíve also got the ford and Etal waters on till if you want to fish day tickets

Quote Originally Posted by T7 View Post
    ive made contact with the PDAA And Stormont thanks to the kind suggestions. I'll have a look at some of the other club water options. much appreciated!

Try the clubs on the Clyde if they have left any space for 2019 !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12