Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Changed times

Default Changed times

How things have changed. A few yeas ago a decent bit of kit offered at a decent price would not last long on this site. Right now there are four good fly rods - one from me - for sale at the top of classifieds. They have been viewed almost 1500 times - many duplicate views I'm sure - but no deals done as far as I know. A good, Hardy spinning rod seems stuck too.

Anyone care to suggest why? I don't think the kit is over-priced or second rate. Could it be the time of the year or have falling fish numbers finally drained all optimism? Just curious as I'm lucky enough not to be bothered whether I sell or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JACK POWER View Post
    How things have changed. A few yeas ago a decent bit of kit offered at a decent price would not last long on this site. Right now there are four good fly rods - one from me - for sale at the top of classifieds. They have been viewed almost 1500 times - many duplicate views I'm sure - but no deals done as far as I know. A good, Hardy spinning rod seems stuck too.

Anyone care to suggest why? I don't think the kit is over-priced or second rate. Could it be the time of the year or have falling fish numbers finally drained all optimism? Just curious as I'm lucky enough not to be bothered whether I sell or not.
    Less people fishing (falling fish numbers)?
    Less folk on the forum?
    Less appetite for 15ft rods?

The CND looks really interesting and the Loop is a stunning build but eventually I guess we all get to a stage where we just don't need another rod. Yours is a bargain BTW, but having only got a couple of days Salmon fishing last year and already owning 3 15ftrs I just don't need one.

That said I got 2 Meiser blanks in his blank sale and I'm building a 13'6" MKS #8/9 and a 11'2" Highlander S #3. The #3 weight has a specific purpose but the MKS is mainly because I want to build another rod. I blame both of these purchases on you BTW, if it wasn't for your post on the forum I wouldn't have bought them, honest.

i think its the 15ft length, personally.

my longest rod is 14ft and i never use it anymore. in fact i was looking at a trip one of the irish lads organized to Jockfall, Sweden and when i saw it was a big heavy river where 15/16ft rods are recommended, i thought 'i'm really not interested'.

my mind is moving towards smaller rods and rivers.

maybe others feel the same.

I think there may be a number of factors, possibly acting cumulatively.

First of all, I don't think it's a great time of year to be selling. For many of us the coffers are depleted after Christmas and New Year, and some of us (here in the UK, anyway) also have the prospect of a tax bill to pay at the end of this month. And many of us won't actually start our 2019 campaign for several months yet, so there is no sense of urgency in considering purchases.

Secondly, I'm sure that the declining catches of the past few years will have had an impact - and last year's drought conditions in particular. The number of people who have commented here that they have less fishing booked ahead for the coming season, and are going to turn their attentions to other forms of fishing (or even other pastimes), is testament to a general sense of disillusionment.

You say that the items don't appear overpriced. I don't want to be accused of trying to kibosh anyone's sale, and I won't comment on any individual asking prices (I haven't even checked the items in question). However, in general it does seem that the price of second hand rods in relation to their new cost has increased in recent years. When I first started playing on internet forums, some 20 years ago, there was a wise old soul on the first iteration of FFF who used to reckon that the right price for a second hand rod in good condition, in a private transaction, was usually 1/3 to 1/2 of the new retail price. These days, with so many more manufacturers offering guarantees to the first owners (which will not be valid with a second hand purchase), you could reasonably argue that the discount should be even greater. Yet my impression is that the 'new normal' is for second hand prices to be more like 1/2 to 2/3 of the new price. On the other hand, from my observation of Ebay, I'd say that it is still very possible to pick up decent rods at 1/3 or less of the new price - in fact, I have a number of them! So perhaps, aided by the general lack of enthusiasm mentioned above, we will see a return of second hand prices to where they used to be in relation to new prices.

Finally, is it too much to hope that there has been a collective reaction against the culture of fishing tackle as male jewellery? The practice of manufacturers bringing out new models every year is a relatively new one; in general new rods used only to be launched when there was a good reason to do so - in other words, when they offered a significant improvement on the previous range. I doubt that many of us really believe on a cold-eyed assessment that this year's model is going to be significantly better than last year's offering, and it does seem to me that in general it is the marketing departments, rather than manufacturing, that are in the driving seat. I have no great problem with people buying new a rod because owning it gives them pleasure; we are all entitled to spend our money how we please. But if people are beginning to accept that the 2019 Nano-Scandi GTi Turbo rod, designed by Vikings using technology that landed a spacecraft on the dark side of the moon, is actually unlikely to put a single extra fish on the bank when compared to a rod that may be ten or more years old, then maybe we will see a bit more realism in the tackle market.
    Last edited by charlieH; 09-01-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Better chance of a sale if sold separately imo (for what it's worth)

Yes, it is a good price but many will own lines already.

Default Alta calling!

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    Better chance of a sale if sold separately imo (for what it's worth)

Yes, it is a good price but many will own lines already.

Hiya Mac, suspect you may be right but in my heart of hearts I regard the lines as a bonus even if the rod might be a shade cheaper without them. Anyway, if I don't sell em - as seems likely - I'll enter the Alta draw again!
    best