Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15

Default The times they are achanging

Hi
    A pal of mine has been offered fishing on a beat that he's tried to get on several times. (And been knocked back every time) The offer came via a very nice email giving all kinds of info about the beat.
    Beats on the Dee are coming up with very user friendly offers to attract customers.
    Forres AC have opened up their waters for season ticket for the first time to anglers outwith the IV post code (and good for them).
    Its starting to get interesting on what other offers may materialise in the coming months.
    Personally, I'm watching what might happen at Grantown on Spey next year, especially with the difference between the cost of a locals season ticket compared to an outsiders.
    Regards
    Alan

Do you think Grantown is now over priced ? I havent been for some time , so dont really know how its been fishing.

I enjoyed my few trips there, but didnt catch that much really. At the time it seemed reasonable value.
    Last edited by offshore; 06-12-2018 at 08:58 PM.

With the way things are going most people I know are not booking anything in advance next season, with Fishpal for instance.
    Don't get me wrong, less expensive fishing is most welcome, but if we still have no fish and drought conditions for most of the year, is cheaper advanced booking much of a bonus?
    Syndicate or Season ticket is the best option in my opinion, fish when conditions are favourable, spend time with the family when they are not.

Cheers Diarmid.

We head to Grantown every year for our annual get together, and itís never been a particularly successful week no matter the week in June. Our first week and my first time fishing Grantown I caught a fish on myvery first cast and I thought fooking hell this is going to be some week.
    Well as we all know the script isnít like that, but we caught two each in those first two days and the fishing deteriorated the rest of that week due to the rain/conditions.
    Subsequent visits have been poor as far as salmon catches are concerned, but we now look at it as a holiday with good freends, and we all cook some amazing meals, and have a few quality malts.
    I always hope that the lack of catches - usually associated with **** weather, whether that be floods or droughts will surrender a good week of decent levels and salmon.
    But we canít play god and take what we get when there and enjoy the whole occasion.

I think our week in 2019 will be the one!

[QUOTE=alan;1104454]Hi
    A pal of mine has been offered fishing on a beat that he's tried to get on several times. (And been knocked back every time) The offer came via a very nice email giving all kinds of info about the beat.
    Beats on the Dee are coming up with very user friendly offers to attract customers.

There is a good reason for that and its not rocket science to work out why.

Default The times they are achanging

I used to book about 10 or 12 days in advance every year on various rivers. Add to that about the same again in late bookings and I was spending a fair bit every year. This year I booked none in advance, thinking i would pick and choose my last minute days. I ended up doing much more trout fishing and chasing pike on the fly. I think I had one unsuccessful day for salmon.
    I genuinely donít think Iíve missed out. Iíve enjoyed my fishing more this year than I have for ages and I saved a small fortune.
    My days of booking in advance are over. Personally,Itís just not viable or value for money. I think my salmon days are numbered in general but Iím still clinging on to a few rods.
    I am probably typical of a few anglers at the moment.

Tight lines
    Pail
    Last edited by paulfish_1; 09-12-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Default Adios Alba ... sadly

Same story here. Sadly declined a Spey offer for a repeat week for six rods at a really lovely spot. We were later offered the week at a reduced rate. Still not interested though everything except the prospect of even one fish each for the week was perfect. Then, out of the blue, we got an offer from another fishery that a few years ago barely answered emails. It was not, obviously a prime week but decent nonetheless - all going well of course. Still, they asked for more than twice what a basic Norway week might cost. Scottish fisheries, as we say over here, are living on the relics of 'oul decency.

Quote Originally Posted by JACK POWER View Post
    Same story here. Sadly declined a Spey offer for a repeat week for six rods at a really lovely spot. We were later offered the week at a reduced rate. Still not interested though everything except the prospect of even one fish each for the week was perfect. Then, out of the blue, we got an offer from another fishery that a few years ago barely answered emails. It was not, obviously a prime week but decent nonetheless - all going well of course. Still, they asked for more than twice what a basic Norway week might cost. Scottish fisheries, as we say over here, are living on the relics of 'oul decency.
    Aye but how much would a pint and a pizza cost in Norway.