Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7

Default Diawa Whisker question...

Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

I've recently decided to upgrade from my Ron Thompson B52 Spin to a Diawa Whisker 10ft.

Upon arrival, I've noticed that the rod doesn't fit together flush. Does anyone know if it's meant to be like this, I've measured the rod and it's 10ft exactly. Please see image attached.

I've pushed the rod together hard and this is the furthest it will go, I had to then do some trickery to get the sections apart.

Hope someone can advise!

IMG-1598 — imgbb.com
    Last edited by Eye See Fisher; 09-11-2018 at 12:03 AM.

That looks absolutely fine to me.
    That's normal for rods that have spigots. You need to rub wax onto the male section from time to time to ensure that gap remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye See Fisher View Post
    Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

I've recently decided to upgrade from my Ron Thompson B52 Spin to a Diawa Whisker 10ft.

Upon arrival, I've noticed that the rod doesn't fit together flush. Does anyone know if it's meant to be like this, I've measured the rod and it's 10ft exactly. Please see image attached.

Hope someone can advise!

IMG-1598 — imgbb.com
    That's as it should be on a rod with spiggot joints. The gap allows for wear on the male and female parts.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chicharito View Post
    That looks absolutely fine to me.
    That's normal for rods that have spigots. You need to rub wax onto the male section from time to time to ensure that gap remains.
    Make sure its candle wax not fly tying wax or you'll end up with a 1 piece rod.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

The last thing you want is for the sections to fit ‘flush’. If they did you would not know if they were secure, it’s a bit embarrassing when the sections fly apart when casting.

Looks perfect, all of the whisker fly rods are the same too. Just make sure to wax it or i find daiwa rods dont like to come apart too easily.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's already been said but that's how it should be be to allow for wear.

I know a chap that bought a bruce and walker hexagraph then sanded the spigots

Al
    Last edited by Speytime; 09-11-2018 at 12:45 PM.

I have a different brand of fly rod and all the sections are the same as your spinning rod, so that’s the way it’s meant to be , to allow wear and tear at the joints.
    Last edited by glenelg100; 09-11-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks all, I must admit I'd never seen it before on any of my fly rods, so thought it was best to check.

Cheers

I have the 8ft , spigot is the same as mine ,
    Lovely rods