Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BBC Scotland Reporting Scotland at 6.30pm news about salmon farms

SEPA to announce sweeping changes as to how salmon farms operate to help protect wild Atlantic salmon stocks.............

Quote Originally Posted by fly guy View Post
    SEPA to announce sweeping changes as to how salmon farms operate to help protect wild Atlantic salmon stocks.............
    I spoke to Alastair Mitchell and Simon Dryden of M.S.S. at Roseanna Cunningham's Earn announcement a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't too interested in the announcement really, more interested in lobbying M.S.S.
    Priorities 1 and 2 out of a 20 point list were Fish farm regulation tightening and how to deal more efficiently with FEBs.
    Lets see what is announced tonight then.
    Respect My Authorita!!

There was a very brief mention on Breakfast this morning.
    Fingers crossed for something more substantial tonight.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

It was all rather tame. The new proposals will cover new salmon fish farms only and not existing farms located in areas causing problems
    SEPA will carry out unannounced salmon farm visits but I fear that little will change and any recommendations will simply not happen. Don't really see the point of having a toothless environmental body that plays to the tune of the Scottish Government

Watched it on the news tonight. S.E.P.A. are going to get a little tougher on them and new farms will have to be moved to stronger currents. The woman spokesperson for the farmers said that they welcome the news as they are proud of there record.
    Reads to me that is all and now to be forgotten.
    Bob.

The BBC article starts by telling us about the horrendous chemicals and antibiotics used in salmon farming. Initially it looks like we are up for some good preventative action, but then it goes on to basically say; “Don’t worry folks! We’re going to carry on putting the same pollutants into the oceans and rivers, we’ll just move the problem to somewhere where it can be washed out to sea even faster! Problem solved! Hurrah!”

Unfortunately this type of what amounts to almost fake or non-existent news is swallowed by the general public when wrapped up to sound like something meaningful is happening, when in fact all we are doing is continuing to destroy our wildlife.

Typical of SEPA,spread the problem over a wider area,basically do **** all,to the Government line do something but nothing to harm the Salmon Farming Industry.

Quote Originally Posted by reelit1 View Post
    Typical of SEPA,spread the problem over a wider area,basically do **** all,to the Government line do something but nothing to harm the Salmon Farming Industry.
    Agree with this.
    Also, it buys them time. It will take a decade to gather new data about the new locations while the aquaculture industry can reassure everyone they are doing all they can to improve things and avoid doing anything which costs them money.

Without quoting exact figures i believe there are regulations in place at present regarding force culls of farmed salmon when sea lice numbers are too high. How many times has this been executed in Scotland in relation to M.H sites in Norway and what was the lice numbers required in Scotland + Norway which would force a cull ? Read some stuff but to me this seems like Salmon Farmers cosying up to Scotgov and to be seen to be trying to acknowledge a problem when in the background there is going to be an increase in new sites "Further Offshore" . I think all this is to a allow expansion im afraid , only my opinion mind.

They also used the old chestnut, we are experimenting with cleaner fish.
    That's almost 40 years they've been trialing this new wonder treatment that might work.
    It really pees me off that the bbc have never asked why they think it might work after failing for 40 years!!!

The other thing that astounds me is the amount of hydrogen peroxide there is at these sites with absolutely no protection or security.

I always thought, it was key ingredient in bomb making.

Surely the UK government/ security cant allow this to be sitting there waiting to be stolen and managed under dubious measuring means, so that even if it was stolen, there may be no record of it.

Cheers

Mows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast