Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning waders

Default Cleaning waders

My waders are in desperate need of a good clean as they are full of mud/grass stains. Whatís the best way to give them a good wash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ideally after every use, but once a week during heavy use.

Hang up on the washing line inside out and take the garden pressure hose to them. Turn them back out and concentrate on the neoprene socks area and seams, then leave to drip dry. I dont sue any detergent or cleaning agents, just water.

You should hang your wader up by the braces when no in use to preserve seams.

This is only one stage in prolonging the life of the wader

DCH

Don't they usually leak before they can get too dirty?

As above, don't wash with regular clothes wash as it's full of detergent.
    You could hand wash with nikwax Tech Wash (= washing soap) or just old fashioned soap flakes (which are a bu66er to dissolve)

Nikwax Tech Wash High Performance Cleaner for Wet Weather Clothing and Equipment 300 ml: NikWax: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

After washing, re-proof with Diver Dave "Repel" treatment

Repel - DiverDave's Wader Repairs

I wash mine with graingers that you would use to wash breathable jackets etc(nikwax stuff is as good), chuck them in the bath with warm water and that stuff and give them a good scrub. You will be amazed how much mud and green stuff comes out of them. Alot say you can put them in the washing machine and tumble dry but never risked it with mine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rrrr; 06-11-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Sorry I should of said. I do rinse them with a hose after every outing and hang them out to dry properly. Itís just they are stained now & need a good clean.

Iíll order some of that cleaning product & try it out. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diver daves repel is good after theyve been washed aswel. Its a water repellant spray so the water just runs off the waders as soon as you leave the river so they breathe better. He sells it on ebay and it lasts almost a full season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    I wash mine with graingers that you would use to wash breathable jackets etc(nikwax stuff is as good), chuck them in the bath with warm water and that stuff and give them a good scrub. You will be amazed how much mud and green stuff comes out of them. Alot say you can put them in the washing machine and tumble dry but never risked it with mine.

I used to do exactly the same thing as yourself Rrrr but now use the machine,, I also do mine a cpl of time's a year , I use granger's performance wash and granger's performance proofer, I use the washing machine and the tumble dryer set on a low heat setting, I always give the machine a dummy wash with nothing in it to make sure no powder residue and clean the powder drawer, I've used this method on a pair of guideline waders 10 years old and a pair of Simms on season 5 and have yet to have a problem with it, both bead off the water like brand new

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post
    I used to do exactly the same thing as yourself Rrrr but now use the machine,, I also do mine a cpl of time's a year , I use granger's performance wash and granger's performance proofer, I use the washing machine and the tumble dryer set on a low heat setting, I always give the machine a dummy wash with nothing in it to make sure no powder residue and clean the powder drawer, I've used this method on a pair of guideline waders 10 years old and a pair of Simms on season 5 and have yet to have a problem with it, both bead off the water like brand new
    Mine say you can machine wash them but in always worry about the gravel gaurd clips getting stuck on something and shredding them.

Mine say you can machine wash them but in always worry about the gravel gaurd clips getting stuck on something and shredding them.

I machine wash them with Nickwax cleaner then replant each season for past 6 years, follow the instructions on the bottles and waders and seem to work no bother, fingers crossed they are still good for another few seasons.

Put a pair of long socks (or thick tights) over feet/ the lower legs ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast