Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning waders

I always machine wash mine with the NikWax detergent and then again with the re-proofer on the 'synthetic' cycle. That routine has worked well for the past 13 seasons.

Do not wash your waders using conventional detergents. Not only is there a risk of residue blocking the micro-pores in the GoreTex material thereby degrading your waders' performance and breathability; but also the whitening agents embodied in modern detergents will make your wader legs shine bright white underwater owing to the enhanced reflectivity (no I'm not joking!).

I never wash mine. They build up a good familiar stink that helps me find them in the dark or if hung up with other people's. Stains etc on the outside just add to the cammo look.
    Last edited by Loxie; 06-11-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    I always machine wash mine with the NikWax detergent and then again with the re-proofer on the 'synthetic' cycle. That routine has worked well for the past 13 seasons.

Do not wash your waders using conventional detergents. Not only is there a risk of residue blocking the micro-pores in the GoreTex material thereby degrading your waders' performance and breathability; but also the whitening agents embodied in modern detergents will make your wader legs shine bright white underwater owing to the enhanced reflectivity (no I'm not joking!).
    Michael, if your legs are shining bright white under water - did you remember to put your waders on or were you going cammo?

Being serious though, are these your Ikons you're putting through the machine? Not something I've ever considered tbh!
    Last edited by westie4566; 06-11-2018 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by cgaines10 View Post
    My waders are in desperate need of a good clean as they are full of mud/grass stains. What’s the best way to give them a good wash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mud and grass..Their the only things thats keeping them waterproof!!
    "What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?"

Jack Hargreaves OBE (31 December 1911–15 March 1994)

In the machine with Techwash on a delicate wash inside out then inside, eh, in...and no spinny spinny
    "If in doubt, put it back"!

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    Being serious though, are these your Ikons you're putting through the machine? Not something I've ever considered tbh!
    Yes, both the old Ikon Zips - 12+ seasons and still working - and the new ones - 5 seasons - have undergone regular washing and re-proofing in the washing machine, using the 'synthetic' cycle for both the wash and the re-proof.

I will give mine a wash next season in the Tweed.

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Yes, both the old Ikon Zips - 12+ seasons and still working - and the new ones - 5 seasons - have undergone regular washing and re-proofing in the washing machine, using the 'synthetic' cycle for both the wash and the re-proof.
    Thanks for that Michael, will give it a go!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Vision ikons washed in the machine with tech wash and as soon as the cycle was finished straight back on with tx wash in no problems

https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&a...Qwg8IKw&adurl=

Well I put them through the washing machine with that cleaner that was recommended & they’ve come out like new. I’ve ordered some of the water repellent from diver dave.

Cheers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast