Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barnes, London and Langland Bay, Gower, South Wales

Default Felt soles and studs

Just got new felt soled wading boots. Have got a pack of 20 Simms studs. Interested to hear views on whether 10 studs per sole is enough. My other boots (Korkers) have more but maybe more than necessary. More studs = more noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by langland_fisher View Post
    Just got new felt soled wading boots. Have got a pack of 20 Simms studs. Interested to hear views on whether 10 studs per sole is enough. My other boots (Korkers) have more but maybe more than necessary. More studs = more noise?

Yea 10 a boot should be perfect. I just put 4 in the heel at the edges then 6 around the edge of the toe area back over on the outside of the sole with none in the center. It gives the felt a chance to do its work but as you start to slip then the studs on the outside start to dig in as your foot moves to counter it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5 in sole and 3 on heel they're only there to stop you going **** over tip on clay or snow
    Morphfly
    PS Rennie will have the definitive solution!

Quote Originally Posted by morphfly View Post
    5 in sole and 3 on heel they're only there to stop you going **** over tip on clay or snow
    Morphfly
    PS Rennie will have the definitive solution!
    I can check Rennieís boots in a couple of weeks on the Tweed - good tip!

Ha!,fooled you all,I've got both studs and cleats in my Simms vibram soled boots.New observations on the Simms vibram sole is the studs/cleats don't seem to stand proud of the sole like they used to do, and the level of grip dosen't seem to be on the same level from my new Headwater boots as it was on my old Rivershed boots.
    Investigations still ongoing!
    Pedro.

The boots Iím fitting the studs to are Simms Rivertek boa laced felt soles. Not current model, bought as bargain from Uttings sale to keep for fishing in Wales. Youíd need scuba equipment and a lot of bottle not wading boots to enter the Towy at the moment!

Anyone tried Gorrilla glue for sticking felt soles back on a wading boot ?

Quote Originally Posted by lefthandup View Post
    Anyone tried Gorrilla glue for sticking felt soles back on a wading boot ?
    Yep and worked great. Held the sole in place with clamps to allow to dry. The soles on a pair of Vison boots came off after a dozen outings. Seem fine now but I only use them as spare boots now
    Regards Steve

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe Iíll go fishing."

I had simms hardbite studs , they have tiny tungsten carbide blobs on them and wear out quickly . I now use snowbee tungsten carbide studs , they have large pieces of tungsten an seem far superior .
    I would stick to ten studs per boot .

Used gorilla glue on mi soles on wading boots... good stuff.. there still stuck...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast