Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by lefthandup View Post
    Anyone tried Gorrilla glue for sticking felt soles back on a wading boot ?
    No but have used Evostik which has lasted for years.
    The best studs in my opinion are Supatracks.Seem to last forever.
    Last edited by inco; 14-10-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Put your Simms studs you already got/bought in place where suggested by Rrrr and some others.
    But take some time and buy replacement studs soon.
    The Simms studs are simple screws with small pieces of hard metal, only pressed/ glued together on top of the screw. They fall apart very soon and won’t last for long time. I was walking only on the screws after two weeks of salmon fishing. Very disappointing! More slipping than hard“bite“...
    As far as I remember, Rennie and some others had the same issues with the Simms Hardbites.
    I tried different studs of massive hard metal. Best until now were Orvis PosiGrip studs. Massive metal with sharp edges from top to screw. It takes three times of the whole lifetime of the Simms studs for them to show any sign of usage and bite into the ground and rocks like day one.
    Good luck and save wading !
    Last edited by wetwader; 14-10-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

Default Supatracks

Quote Originally Posted by inco View Post
    No but have used Evostik which has lasted for years.
    The best studs in my opinion are Supatracks.Seem to last forever.
    Fitted Sims hardbites in new guide vibrams....after several of what can only be described as 'Skating sessions'...swapped for Supatracks...So So much better !
    More like my old Simms guides which came with studs....Simms have gone backwards in this respect.
    Mel....

I swear by "kold kutter" studs in my felt soles. They are made for motor racing on ice and they never seem to fall out or wear and have nice sharp edges that grip into slippy rocks to stop a slide. They are really cheap aswel which is a bonus.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Default Studs in felt soles

Fully endorse what Rrrr said.Wear really well and not exorbitant prices.Richard.
    Last edited by richard griffith; 15-10-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    I swear by "kold kutter" studs in my felt soles. They are made for motor racing on ice and they never seem to fall out or wear and have nice sharp edges that grip into slippy rocks to stop a slide. They are really cheap aswel which is a bonus.

Hi Rrrr,
    yes, they are really much cheaper than anything else and I also thought about them.
    You do not have problems with the Kold Kutter, setting down deeper into the felt under pressure while wading?
    Never experienced it myself, but heard of somebody who had this problem and destroyed his waders this way with Kold Kutter studs... I was wondering about this story because the Kold Kutter seem to have the same size of "platform" above the screw as a conter part compared to my orvis PosiGrip studs. They set down a little bit in use into the felt also. I do not use glue, because I want to change the studs when they are worn down.
    Maybe itīs only a question to get the right size/screw length for the boots or itīs a problem of thin soled boots.
    Which size/lengths do you use for your Simms boots?
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

Quote Originally Posted by langland_fisher View Post
    Just got new felt soled wading boots. Have got a pack of 20 Simms studs. Interested to hear views on whether 10 studs per sole is enough. My other boots (Korkers) have more but maybe more than necessary. More studs = more noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I would recommend a spot of aquasure on the thread of each stud , Screw in the stud then remove and put a drop of aquasure on the thread before replacing them .

Quote Originally Posted by wetwader View Post
    Hi Rrrr,
    yes, they are really much cheaper than anything else and I also thought about them.
    You do not have problems with the Kold Kutter, setting down deeper into the felt under pressure while wading?
    Never experienced it myself, but heard of somebody who had this problem and destroyed his waders this way with Kold Kutter studs... I was wondering about this story because the Kold Kutter seem to have the same size of "platform" above the screw as a conter part compared to my orvis PosiGrip studs. They set down a little bit in use into the felt also. I do not use glue, because I want to change the studs when they are worn down.
    Maybe itīs only a question to get the right size/screw length for the boots or itīs a problem of thin soled boots.
    Which size/lengths do you use for your Simms boots?
    I use the 3/8 of an inch in mine and if anything they feel abit on the short side when you fit them but they dont fall out and dont come through into the boot.

Default Kold Kutters

Best studs ever. have used mine for 5 years and am now replacing. use the shortest thread possible.

Back to the normal world after nights!
    As Wet Wader states, indeed had a few probs with Simms tungsten studs.They are a mild steel body with tungsten pellets welded onto them.The studs are only as strong as their weakest part-which is the mild steel, thats the bit that falls apart!.
    The more cynical amongst us will realise its Simms way of putting a shelf life on a pretty well hard wearing object so in the long term they can sell you more studs(nope, they don't wear out, they fall apart!)
    Best boot/stud combo I ever had were Orvis Battenkill Brogues,felt soled with fitted tungsten studs.The studs were fitted into the boot sole and then a felt sole applied round them.I had mine re soled twice with felt and the studs were showing no signs at all of wear.When the boots eventually fell apart the studs were still highly viable!.
    The Orvis Posigrip studs look and are the business being pure tungsten, they just won't wear out and will grip like a very very grippy thing indeed!.
    Currently on new Simms studs and cleats in my Headwater boots, on going tests will be reported on in the future!
    Pedro.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12