Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No more free swinging

Free swinging hook

I know there has been many threads on free swing hooks ,I fished a black and silver 1" plastic tube yesterday evening with a free swinging size 12 treble, ( my very last treble, binned later ) , single spey casting with a switch rod , 8ft + ? x 12lb leader, no wind , 3 times in the first 20 mins felt like I hooked a leaf ? the free swinging hook had doubled over & hooked up to the leader , maybe a double or single wouldn't hook up as much ? anyway def not using this method ,anymore

That's because your leader probably landed in a pile and the fly dropped through and got caught up.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    That's because your leader probably landed in a pile and the fly dropped through and got caught up.
    Could be ? but my casting is good , seldom happens when fishing with a fixed double on a brass or plastic conehead tube, or double hooked flies, I blame the treble ?, but binned it ,

Do you use unweighted flies? Do you use a knot saver? If not using a knot saver, try one before you give it up.
    I use it quite often and itís my preferred method for small to middle size tubes, especially when the fishes do not take decided enough.
    I donít have any problems with tangling when doing fast airborn anchor casts.
    What I recognized is, it can happen when doing waterborne anchor casts, which creates longer pauses. The hook is separating more or less from the fly because of itís own weight. The less weighted the fly, the more it does, what could cause some issues.

The anchor is the point you should take a view on. In general, for both - airborne and waterborne anchor casts - the main point to avoid those issues is a controlled straight anchor.
    The forward cast is seldom the problem. There is always tension. And as long as there is tension, the hook is where it should be.
    Last edited by wetwader; 13-09-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

I've fished free swinging doubles for years now and they're great. No issues or wing/tail wrap.
    Never tried free swinging trebles, probably for exactly the issue your finding.

What is the advantage of using a free swinging hook, in the first place ? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    What is the advantage of using a free swinging hook, in the first place ? Thanks
    For better hook ups with fish, fewer losses apparently ?

Are you using tubing over the hook and knot (not on the tube) to keep them in line?

Like the examples shown on the left

E3BBC4B0-FE49-461F-BACE-CDBB1D4E503E.jpeg
    Last edited by NEbody; 13-09-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salarium View Post
    For better hook ups with fish, fewer losses apparently ?
    Its just a gimmick. The problem we have is finding fish to hook up with in the first place. If those days return my fly will be fishing the same old way and if he wants it, he'll get hooked up alright.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

I'll probably keep using a piece of rubber tubing on the end of the tube and stick the hook into that. Just feels right somehow and difficult to understand why you would hook less or lose more than with a free swinging hook as the rubber tubing shouldn't really give any leverage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast