Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Home Near Wasilla Alaska and at the Cabin In The Bush Near Skwentna Alaska

Hi,

I stopped using trailing hooks capable of moving around 3 seasons ago. On a very cold morning while steelhead fishing I had 2 solid hits, I did everything right, just let it hang and waited for the fish to pull away.... Nothing there? After the second incident I examined the fly and found the single Owner hook stuck firmly into the collar materials and eye area.

How do I know it was a steelhead? Because a guy drifted through the seam while I was hurriedly changing to a tube and he was using the plastic salmon egg under bobber method. I could guess the fish at about 30" and maybe 7 1/2 pound based on what I could see from shore...

Now it's either tube with junction tubing so the hook is tight behind the fly or a Jam Knot if I want the hook to be able to pivot behind the tube. Jam knots can also save some flies if you become snagged.

This video demonstrates the jam knot I like at the 2:40 point if you are curious.

Jam Knot for Tubes

[QUOTE=Hardyreels;1089730]Hi,

I stopped using trailing hooks capable of moving around 3 seasons ago. On a very cold morning while steelhead fishing I had 2 solid hits, I did everything right, just let it hang and waited for the fish to pull away.... Nothing there? After the second incident I examined the fly and found the single Owner hook stuck firmly into the collar materials and eye area.

Well that puts the swingers to bed , hooking up on tube bodies , a no no for me, same with intruders type flies dangling about
    Last edited by salarium; 13-09-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Hi,

are you using mono or wire ? - i find no issues with the senyo wire. I also find it get better hook ups having the owner or Gami hook upwards.
    Last edited by GeeBee; 13-09-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Home Near Wasilla Alaska and at the Cabin In The Bush Near Skwentna Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post
    are you using mono or wire ? - i find no issues with the senyo wire. I also find it get better hook ups having the owner or Gami hook upwards.
    The offending hook was trailed using that braided spinning line at 65 pound test. The stuff seems stiff when applied to the shank during the tying but with use becomes limp as the wet noodle. Never had a problem with the Senyo wire but have transitioned almost totally to tubes. I've become a fan of the Wilkinson Sunray and the Dee Monkey patterns. 99% of the time I have one of those on the line unless fishing for Kings here.

Wire is good

I fish Free swinging Hooks mostly in low water, only using Flee's tied on tube liners (little Cones)
    Never had a problem yet using treble's, which i use nearly all the time with them. No biiger than Size 14 either.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill Cook

Do you fill the gap between the bends at the back with uv resin or aqua sure? That works for me, I seldom get wrapped up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12