Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Default shooting head labling

Can any body help me, I have a few shooting heads coiled on spools. Some are Rio and some are Guideline The line type and weight are printed on one end. Which make is "reel end " and which are "fly end"
    Sorry to such an elementary question.
    Cheers
    Bob

The end that is printed is usually the end that goes on the reel first

guest2938 Guest

And if that fails, you`ll soon find out which is which when you cast it...

DCH

Quote Originally Posted by toshfan View Post
    Can any body help me, I have a few shooting heads coiled on spools. Some are Rio and some are Guideline The line type and weight are printed on one end. Which make is "reel end " and which are "fly end"
    Sorry to such an elementary question.
    Cheers
    Bob
    Loxie will know!!!

Some Rio and some Guideline heads have the details printed on the front end and some on the rear end. If you want to know which is the reel end then it is the one with the most pronounced taper. The longer less aggressive taper is the 'business end'.
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

Default shooting head labling

Thanks for your replies. The Rio ASF floating heads are obvious, long green on the business end and short green on the reel end. A Guideline skagit seems to be the same on both ends, so it does not matter which way i fish it? Are shooting heads always like this?
    Bob

All shooting heads and Skagits have a longer front taper than rear taper regardless of manufacture. The only line that has the same front and rear taper is a double tapered line. I have a Guideline Skagit and the front end and rear end tapers are different on mine. I think you will find difficulty casting any weight forward line with the same front and rear tapers. It will not work efficiently if at all.

Here is a typical example:

Last edited by Perrypokemon; 28-08-2018 at 04:04 PM.
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

Quote Originally Posted by toshfan View Post
    Thanks for your replies. The Rio ASF floating heads are obvious, long green on the business end and short green on the reel end. A Guideline skagit seems to be the same on both ends, so it does not matter which way i fish it? Are shooting heads always like this?
    Bob
    Your AFS is a WF 'shooting head' with a length probably somewhere between 35 and 42 Ft designed to fish all sizes of flies off a tapered leader or a Poly leader. As a result it has a longer, thinner front taper for a given weight than your Skagit.

Your Skagit is a specific type of very short WF 'shooting head' with a length somewhere around 25ft designed to fish mainly large, heavy flies from a length of very heavy Tungsten line. As a result it will have a much shorter, thicker front taper for a given weight than your Shooting head.

It can be hard to tell one end from the other but if you hold both ends up in the air there should be at least some difference in the taper and one end will get thicker before the other. The end that gets thickest first is going to be the rear end, cast it to confirm and then mark it with a pen or a length of shrink wrap. If you have any doubts, email the distributor.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help i am all sorted now. Fishing Lethen on the Findhorn next week. Dont expect the skagits to be much use for cascades and tiny black flies.
    Thread can close now.