Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Default Double density polyleader ?

Does anyone make such a thing ?.
    I like to use a 10 foot polyleader as i prefer the way they cast but a 10 foot inter leader fishes too deep for summer conditions and a 5 foot feels abit short on the cast but fishes alot better. Its only a small petty issue but has anyone heard of or seen a dual density poly leader ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rrrr; 14-06-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Nope,but hover poly then fluro tippet will do the deed pretty well!
    Pedro.

Thats pretty much what i do now and go for a floating or hover polyleader with either fluro or a small tube fly with a cone head to get it down and fishing asap from the cast. The ideal compramise would be a 10ft poly with the last 2 or 3 foot in a slow or fast sink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Nope,but hover poly then fluro tippet will do the deed pretty well!
    Pedro.
    Last edited by Rrrr; 14-06-2018 at 01:31 PM.

You'd be surprised how deep thats all fishing!,you may well be in for a shock if you just come up an inch or two in the water column.
    Pedro.
    P.S, try ditching the poly. and using a tapered mono leader and fluro tippet!
    Last edited by Rennie; 14-06-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Ive looked at taperd leaders but wasnt sure how well they turn over with a scandi line. Seen a guy a few weeks back with a full floating spey line and where you would normaly tie the tippet he had just over a foot of old wet cell line between and that seemed to work pretty well and stopped the fly skating as it came around to the dangle.

A poly. is a tapered leader covered in sinking polymer, more or less the same thing!.From your 13fter try a 9ft tapered leader say 15lb point, knot on a little leader ring and add 5ft of say 15lb fluro.Tust me it will fly out and turn over just great.In all honesty, the leader will help your casting no end compared to a level leader, it'll turn over your cone heads no probs. at all too.
    I have the same rod as you, it all works or I wouldn't say so!
    Pedro.

Cheers ill get some orderd today and give them a try as it seems the perfect solutuon, its not a massive issue just might save clearing weed from my fly every other cast. Any suggestions on brand etc ?.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    A poly. is a tapered leader covered in sinking polymer, more or less the same thing!.From your 13fter try a 9ft tapered leader say 15lb point, knot on a little leader ring and add 5ft of say 15lb fluro.Tust me it will fly out and turn over just great.In all honesty, the leader will help your casting no end compared to a level leader, it'll turn over your cone heads no probs. at all too.
    I have the same rod as you, it all works or I wouldn't say so!
    Pedro.

A bit longer than you want, but might be what youíre after....

Hardy(R) Scandi 12ft Spey Tips ST | Hardy(R)
    I'm not Fat........... I'm just easy to see!!!

Whatís already said by Rennie/Pedro and suggested and what is your issue can be a problem in low water conditions. Polyleader Intermediate and also Hover is fishing far too deep most of the time.
    And I have to say, also tapered Fluorocarbon goes down a lot more compared to Nylon.
    I was using Ken Sawada, RST and now mainly Stroft tapered Nylon leaders if in need to avoid those problems.

Rennie is right, turnover with tapered Nylon is not a problem and mostly in those conditions we have to go down in fly size anyway.
    But in general itís a little bit different in anchor and loop formation compared to a Polyleader of 10í plus tippet, you are used to.
    Depending on rod and line you may slow down a little bit if you are a fast/more aggressive caster. Also the anchor placement is different in windy conditions. A Polyleader is slowing down and stabilizing the tip of the line in delivery. Again, a lot is depending on your rod and line you use and your personal casting mechanics. But usually itís easy to adapt.

If you want to have the same characteristic or donít want to adapt, you could try the floating version of the Rio Polyleader.
    I am using the Scandi light Versileader of 10í. Itís more refined compared to the Airflo especially for lighter lines and more subtle in presentation, whatís a benefit for low water tactics and shy fishes.
    But nevertheless, for most subtle presentation and the needs of low water fishing I prefer the tapered Nylon leaders over any Polyleader.

Try it out.
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)