Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  318
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 118

Thread: Disgraceful

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    You've got to feel sorry for the folk with commercial interests in the Dee, especially the ghillies who have had to trot out the obligatory:

    "Why of course sir, we need to release her, think of all the eggs, just a few more years of C&R and we'll be up to our eyeballs in spanking chrome salmon"

    when all the while they're probably fully aware that on an adjacent catchment to the S the in-river nets have been killing 2,000+ salmon a year for the last few decades (effective 100% C&K) and still the counter indicates the salmon stock of said river is doing just fine. In apparent stark contrast to the catches on the Dee (who knows if it's related to effort????)

    Then they have to deal with the folk who think it'll all be OK because the fish is being released no matter what it's condition.

    It is totally disgraceful, the waste of a good sustainable tasty treat. IMHO of course.

    My thoughts exactly....first thing that came to mind as I read the story.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    shropshire
    Posts
    137

    Default Disgraceful

    The estate must take responsibility for dealing with this - Should they not go through the C&R procedure before allowing tenants to start fishing ?

  3. #13

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    You've got to feel sorry for the folk with commercial interests in the Dee, especially the ghillies who have had to trot out the obligatory:

    "Why of course sir, we need to release her, think of all the eggs, just a few more years of C&R and we'll be up to our eyeballs in spanking chrome salmon"

    when all the while they're probably fully aware that on an adjacent catchment to the S the in-river nets have been killing 2,000+ salmon a year for the last few decades (effective 100% C&K) and still the counter indicates the salmon stock of said river is doing just fine. In apparent stark contrast to the catches on the Dee (who knows if it's related to effort????)

    Then they have to deal with the folk who think it'll all be OK because the fish is being released no matter what it's condition.

    It is totally disgraceful, the waste of a good sustainable tasty treat. IMHO of course.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Last edited by Hardyreels; 14-06-2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Removed text / personal attack

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique
    Posts
    3,471

    Default

    I apologise that my honest opinion differs to yours, and that you would clearly like to censor my right to express it.

    Please be civil when trying to respond though, it makes the forum a much nicer place.
    Last edited by Hardyreels; 14-06-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Removed Quote
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach


    Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

    Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    I apologise that my honest opinion differs to yours, and that you would clearly like to censor my right to express it.

    Please be civil when trying to respond though, it makes the forum a much nicer place.
    You are more than entitled to your opinion....and I haven't got a problem with it.

    But when you're stuck on repeat, repeat, repeat it becomes ...well 'BORING'.

  6. #16

    Default

    Weather it a 20lbr or a 5lbr it makes no difference.

    Part of the problem with our sport is there are too many novices participating in it.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lefthandup View Post
    Weather it a 20lbr or a 5lbr it makes no difference.

    Part of the problem with our sport is there are too many novices participating in it.
    And donít forget the know all twits who think they are better than anyone else

  8. #18

    Default

    lol....its no Friday neet the neet is it?

    DCH

  9. #19

    Default

    For my own part in salmon fishing I never use a net and rarely ever lift a fish out of the water. I prefer to keep them in the water when unhooking them. Nets can do damage to fish flanks. I do not see the need for pictures of my catches. I want the fish to have maximum chance of survival to spawning. They never smile for the camera in any case. Personally if I saw someone drag a fish up by its tail then I would approach them and we could discuss the folly of their actions like 'gentlemen'
    If they have no bread let them eat Brexit.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perrypokemon View Post
    For my own part in salmon fishing I never use a net and rarely ever lift a fish out of the water. I prefer to keep them in the water when unhooking them. Nets can do damage to fish flanks. I do not see the need for pictures of my catches. I want the fish to have maximum chance of survival to spawning. They never smile for the camera in any case. Personally if I saw someone drag a fish up by its tail then I would approach them and we could discuss the folly of their actions like 'gentlemen'
    Glad you said that, i dont use a net either, i did when i first started fishing until i felt confident of landing without one. I dont fish places where theres difficult landing, i dont faff about and most of the time i can position the fish easily still in the water wedged or hemmed in by my feet, quick unhook and pic and away.

    I have been thinking of buying a maclean net, but then i think i dont want to waste money on buying tackle if its not going to get used much, ill fish with what ive got in my armoury now save new nylon and flees and odd line when needs replaced.....plus i like to travel light

    DCH

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •