Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  317
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Disgraceful

I would put the magnum 200d up against any fish no problem. Had mine since new and wont be selling it any time soon. My dad got his out of retirement last season and is using it full time after a salmon killed the drag on his greys reel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    I think I've still got a Leeds Magnum disc 200. A really good reel for the money and IMO better than the Marquis. I've used a Marquis in Norway and was quite happy until I tried the boss's System 2!
    I have lost count of the number of rods I have met at the end of a day's fishing on the Kola who are pale and shaking with their favourite bomb proof reel no longer in service. It is a whole other world. But some people won't be told and have to learn the hard way. I suppose all experience is good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    I have lost count of the number of rods I have met at the end of a day's fishing on the Kola who are pale and shaking with their favourite bomb proof reel no longer in service. It is a whole other world. But some people won't be told and have to learn the hard way. I suppose all experience is good experience.
    I find it incredible that some people are prepared to pay the 10 to 20 grand for a good week on one of the Kola's big fish river and scrimp on 300 quid for a reel that will improve your chances of landing the fish hugely.

Quote Originally Posted by salarchaser View Post
    On what do you base that statement?

Feel rather pleased with myself now. It appears I have managed the nigh-on impossible on a number of occasions.
    I've managed it a few times too, but in my opinion it's not worth the faff. You hook a fish, it's a big fish.. where's the net? If it's a giant McLean net, the chances are it isn't on your back.

Assuming it IS on your back, while playing a fish you have to unclip the net, extend it, lock it into position, then when you have the fish close enough, somehow control a 15ft rod with a 15lb salmon on the end of it.. with one hand...

No thanks, not for me! Each to their own, well done if you make it work.

Default Reel improvement matters

Simply like that for nearly everything: Each for itís own and different approaches.

I really loved the Marquis reels in the beginning of my salmon fishing. I ordered them in the early 80s from Farlows, London, until I had the whole series, all sizes. Also some Young reels. I loved the beauty and simplicity of both of them. I will never need a break I thought and in fact I didnít need it a very long time.
    I fine tuned all my Marquis reels, because I wanted more silence for seatrout night fishing.
    Then I used some System 2 reels. Also very reliable. Then I entered the world of Danielsson reels when they still were called Loop and never looked back.
    I like the silence of the Original series and the sound of six ball bearings when a good sized fish takes line, sounds like a turbine...
    My hooking rate ďexplodedĒ from day one, because no more heart attack causing cry of the Marquis when the salmons took the fly😁 I was coming from the trout fishing and was reacting wrong, much too fast.
    And the Marquis was not relaxing the way it cried out very loud: a fish !
    A silent reel, adapted to avoid overrun and give as less resistance as possible, it gives the deciding seconds to realize and the fish got time to turn around. At least it works for me.
    So all in all the reel is not only a metal depot for the line. The choose of reel can have more influence for practical fishing as one would think.
    More relaxed also while tiring the fish, more relaxed in any way... Simply more silence, less noise ...
    My Marquis reels are in the Vitrine and they get an outing from time to time at home, using small doublehanders for swinging streamers for trouts, when I want to hear them cry again. But no more on a long run of a big fish...
    No doubt about their usability for big fish in the right circumstances.
    But with a Danielsson Control f. e. there is simply - more control for tougher conditions. I have never been in Kola until now. But if going there, no question what to take.

As much as I love my Original reels, I got hitted more than once by the reel handle while playing a big fish. No problem so far, but the hand goes off in natural reflex also for the toughest men of us and a few seconds the brain stops thinking😁
    The biggest was a 16 kg male of 1,20 m in a hard flowing roaring river. It was a real challenge, to land this fish in restricted area with ďland underĒ.
    Not because of the size of the fish. The first salmon fishermen caught bigger fishes on less developed tackle. No, because of the conditions ! I learned my lesson.
    For conditions like that I use my Control reel now. The biggest on that reel was a male of 18 kg and 1,25 m. It was with less fuss, compared to the fishes before and simply with more control and confidence. Less time needed. For the few that might be thinking, the longer it needs, the more fun: it needed long enough !
    But the break is not deciding for me. I mostly put it on lowest level and put pressure on by hand. Itís the ease of handling. The control ...

Out of discussion of control, break or anti reverse and if it is needed:
    What I liked in the Marquis and also still like in the Danielsson Original and Control is the fact that they have the same/nearly the same resistance forward. When underhand casting with shooting heads and using a strong short bottom hand, they donít turn in line (when weighted with backing and runningline) as many reels do! Also the Control series is free of this ďproblemĒ, because of itís inner construction and more resistance. For practical fishing I want to have control over the presentation. If the length of line is becoming shorter and shorter by a reel turning in line itself, itís an unnecessary complication. I donít want the line crashing into the reel because of shorter length and donít want spooled runningline without tension.
    I didnít find other reels that are satisfying in this aspect. But I have what I need.
    Of course I am a little obsessive in equipment, as can be seen easily. But sometimes details and more thoughts are not without benefit.

Well, maybe a little bit or some points out of topic, but only nearly:
    To shorten the battle for a fish to release, control in playing the fish is not unnecessary. There were some improvements in reels the last decades.
    It might be considered when we lay our main views to the improvements of the latest in carbon and line technology, to cast further and better and reach any or as many fish we can, but wouldnít care for the fish how long we need to get it to hands.
    But again, a lot depends simply on the circumstances as already stated before. There are big differences between the countries for Atlanticís and even there can be big differences in a river flow and places for the same river.

Wish you get all your fishes mastered in good control and the necessary daily Dosis of luck !

I got my first one this season yesterday in the worsest lack of water ever in June I saw in 35 years. Spending some time with you in the forum while resting and waiting for rain... soon coming ...

Cheers
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    I would put the magnum 200d up against any fish no problem. Had mine since new and wont be selling it any time soon. My dad got his out of retirement last season and is using it full time after a salmon killed the drag on his greys reel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    First trip to BC my Magnum 200d lasted two runs from large chinooks before the cork drag disintegrated. Now use a Danielsson Control.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfly View Post
    First trip to BC my Magnum 200d lasted two runs from large chinooks before the cork drag disintegrated. Now use a Danielsson Control.
    Quite.

Quote Originally Posted by atlanticspringer View Post
    I've managed it a few times too, but in my opinion it's not worth the faff. You hook a fish, it's a big fish.. where's the net? If it's a giant McLean net, the chances are it isn't on your back.

Assuming it IS on your back, while playing a fish you have to unclip the net, extend it, lock it into position, then when you have the fish close enough, somehow control a 15ft rod with a 15lb salmon on the end of it.. with one hand...

No thanks, not for me! Each to their own, well done if you make it work.
    Certainly does work for me.
    24" or 30" gye net on a peel sling. 15', 13' or 12' rod all the same.
    Also, you don't need to get as close to the fish to net it as to hand tail it / beach it.
    As you say, each to their own.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112