Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0

Default Hants Avon Paternoster rig

Went to the Avon for a few days this week, fished the fly Monday and realised that spinning would probably be far more effective due to the amount of bankside vegetation that's grown in the last month making Spey casting very difficult, wading not possible. Perhaps next trip I'll try the switch rod single handed.
    Spinning was allowed Tuesday onwards and I spent the bright hot day exhausting myself covering plenty of water with Mepps no. 5s which seem to be favoured, no sign of any Salmon, got one Pike and the scars to prove it!
    Returned yesterday evening having visited a local tackle shop and bought a few floating Devons to use in the traditional Avon way, using a Paternoster set up. I felt this would allow me to fish the lure slower and at a fixed distance off the bottom, about 2 1/2 feet, started with a 1 oz lead on the 'point'. It fished beautifully the lead could be felt bumping along the gravel nicely and indeed second cast a take, fish on and line being taken against the clutch. Alas another Pike but it felt just right and I felt confident I'd at least got the method right. However after a while the tackle started getting twisted up and tangled more often than not. I was using 30lb braid to a McMahon ball bearing swivel tied to the fixed end ring, 18lb fluro opposite the braid with the lead attatched, an overhand knot in that to create a weak link. 18lb fluro to the Devon off the swiveling ring.
    I've used this set up to fish the shrimp previously with no problems, generally just lowering it though, rather than casting some distance.
    Very keen to use this method again but this set up is obviously not quite right.
    Could anyone please advise on a good more tangle free Paternoster rig?
    The first thing on my shopping list is going to be some original ballbearing swivels that rotate at both ends.

Try a 3 way ball bearing swivel. The line shouldnt really twist up as the lead acts as an anti kink device. Also try keeping the line to the lead short and adjust the leader to the devon to bring the lure up in the water.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't't use the Devon very often these days but when I do I always use 2 swivels about 6" apart, with the weak link weight attached to the same swivel as the main line.
    A short link to a second swivel then 2 or 3 feet to my lure.

image.jpg
    If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk....if you want to be happy for life, go fishing.

Try this system:
    Running Rig Kits | Korum | Korum: Fish For Everything

I use it for both spinning, with the paternoster-type end gear, and coarse fishing & its very effective at separation and reducing tangles.

Thanks for the replies.
    Have had a good look online and haven't been able to find any 3 way BB swivels. If anyone can help me locate some I'd be very grateful.
    Ordered some original BB swivels today and think I'll go with some sort of plastic boom system.

Quote Originally Posted by Isisalar View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    Have had a good look online and haven't been able to find any 3 way BB swivels. If anyone can help me locate some I'd be very grateful.
    Ordered some original BB swivels today and think I'll go with some sort of plastic boom system.
    You could use a Portland rig with a 3" length of shrink tube to make a nice flexible boom. Tie your trace, I'd use 30lb clear amnesia, to a very small swivel and slide on the shrink tube and try and get the end over the swivel eye. Steam it with a kettle. For the down part, as it were I use 40lb clear amnesia. Tie a swivel, just a cheapy will do. Then slide down a crimp, a small bead, your trace swivel, another bead and another crimp in that order, then tie another swivel on the end. Crimp the bottom bead where you like it then crimp the top bead 3" above it. This will allow fairly free movement and reduce tangles. About 10" from the end of your shrink tube boom tie a B.B. swivel. You can then attach a weak link to a lead from your bottom swivel and a leader to your minnow from the B.B. tie up two or tree at a time at home and keep them in a couple of small sealy bags for accidents. Tie a rig clip to the end of your mainline and then just clip the rig on and off as you need it.

Keep it simple, I,ve found the best set up to be a running lead link either from a swivel or a small size pulley bead (oval bead with integral swivel) two swivels, 6-9inches apart then the hook/lure link around 2.5ft, works really well.
    peter

Dont think you can get 3 way bb swivels but it shouldnt matter as the lead stops the main line twisting by hanging down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk