Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not sure as I don't know the weight (in grams) of that head. Sounds in the right ball park though.
    Sorry not a huge help :-(

42g afs will be too heavy on it.

Get yourself a 38g afs and it should go really well.

Great rod. I use a Rio afs outbound 9/10 on it .

Quote Originally Posted by fishingtommy View Post
    It's the 3 piece model 😬
    Okay, the 3-piece model.
    The 3-piece had a stiffer tip, bringing the load much deeper down compared to the 4-piece model.
    The tip is exactly the same in taper and weight compared to the 14í8 in 10/11 !!! MF 3-piece.
    This results in a very reliable tip for a 9/10 rod, but also in more flex and stress for the middle part of the rod if loaded too heavy !
    If there are breakages with GL rods, they are reported mostly in the middle parts of the 3-piece models, but also mostly for the LPXe series.
    And this rod doesnít need at all a heavy load. Itís one of the easiest loading rods in this length and class I know.

The weight of the line for itself is only one part of the load for the rod. The weight distribution can be very different. The Rio AFS you mention here is very heavy weighted in the rear part and strong tapered to the tip.
    So in result you would load this rod with the AFS 10/11 of 42 Gramm (too much) plus the additional deep loading line taper (much too much) !
    In sum thatís really way too much for this rod.

I would take the AFS for a rod, no matter what label, with softer tip and strong/stiff butt, to make the butt work while not overloading the more sensible rod tip because of the very fine front tapered AFS. It would fit to the 3-piece LeCie 14í8 in 10/11 MF or the usual 4-piece rods.

For the LeCie 3-piece 14í8 in 9/10 the very best lines for me were the older Guideline Power Taper lines, Floater (grey) and double density lines in #9/10, 13,5 Meter and 40 Gramm in F, F/S1 and F/S3, combined with a Polyleader of 8-10 Ď.
    Usually I respect the recommended weights for GL rods. It was 36-38 Gramm for this specific rod.
    But these older lines are not overloading this rod, because of its length and itís taper, more weight in the middle and tip, not too much in the rear part.
    The strong tip of the 3-piece and the very easy loading deep action handles these lines perfectly.

The AFS 10/11 is only around 12,20 meter for 42 Gramm, what results in a more compressed taper and much higher weight-to-length ratio compared to the above lines.
    I would not use this AFS 10/11 on this rod. Otherwise you might have:

5. Lost your bargain.😎

If you can still get the mentioned Power Taper lines, cut the Floater (best was the grey one) down to 39 Gramm maximum weight, because itís more weight in the rear part and less in the front too, compared to the sink tip versions.
    The Sink tips you could use uncutted, but take care they donít exceed 40 Gramm maximum.

Like all PVC lines they are shrinking after some use and loose weight, up to 1 Gramm after the first two seasons when fished regularly. Maybe they are already ďwell driedĒ now when you get them after some years of production.

If you canít get the old Power Taper lines, try the newer Secret Taper lines from Taki Alvanos in 9/10 (Rio production), F/S2 and F/S5. More compressed taper, shorter in length and need to be cut down to 38/39 Gramm Maximum for this rod from the beginning.
    Donít be shocked by the F/S5. The tip is only 10í long compared to 15í of the GL sink tip lines. Itís very easy to cast and a very very good line for windy conditions with this rod.

I tried the more modern tapered lines, f.e. Rio SVT and Nextcast Salar Finder 45 on this rod.
    Of course it is casting all lines, but it was remarkable better, if not to say outstanding, with the above described lines.
    Rod action and line taper are a perfect match. No wonder, rod and lines were developed with each other in nearly the same time by GL.

In some way this rod is self casting, very very forgiving, no matter of casting tempo and long or short stroke.
    Itís one of the few LeCie rods that are well described as Medium Fast.

I use the rod only for shooting heads, but as good as it is with the longer versions, I can imagine itís very good with a mid Belly or even a long Belly line too.

I used all LeCie models (not the Spey version of the 14í8) and still use most of them, never broke a LeCie while casting, but some LPXe.

But be aware not to get any spare parts after a mishap. The rest, what lines and weights you are casting, is of course up to you.

Hope, that was some help.
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

I'm used to using a hardy Mach 1 9/10 On this rod which would fit with others advice on 38g afs or similar shooting heads - 42g or 10/11 heads are too much imho.

Tight lines

Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12