Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Default Which varnish for whipping on cane rod.

Hi, i have came into a quality greenheart trout rod- 9'#6 line. I plan to use it this year for dries and buzzers. My question is, which type of varnish is best for touching up the whippings ? Would a touch-up with " hard as nails" be ok or even " zap a gap" ??

Please dont use those nasty things.
    You need some yacht spar varnish for a good finish. A small tin is only a few pounds from B&Q.
    When you apply it make sure both the rod and varnish are warm, just above room temp if possible. Then apply sparingly, two coats for a good finish with proper drying time between coats.

Thanks but I was meaning the whippings round the guides-not the actual rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeddancer View Post
    Thanks but I was meaning the whippings round the guides-not the actual rod.
    Yep, spar varnish. It tightens the whippings and looks like it should. Not really a big job and worth doing right if the rods a good one.

Uv resin and nail polish will not work half as well.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Here you go

http://www.barder-rod.co.uk/specials...6/P4050076.JPG

I'm not as good as Edward but have done a few rods. I'd be happy to sort yours out if you want. No cost, just the return post when its done. Mind, its not difficult. If you use quality varnish and have the temps up.