Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Yorks
    Posts
    3,183

    Default

    I use the L5W #8/12 on an 11' 6" Vision Tool. If in doubt go for the larger version: after all, it's salmon you're trying to catch.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Before you buy anything, first check what weight of reel (& line) balances your rod. You want a nice neutral balance about your upper hand in the fishing and casting position on the handle. Having to compensate for a reel that's too light (holding the rod tip up) or too heavy is tiring and very boring.

    If your present reel does that nicely, then strip off the shooting head and pop it on the scales. Knock off about 50 grams for the running line and backing, and the remainder tells you what weight of reel you should be looking for. If it doesn't, assemble the rod without the reel and place the handle on a pivot at the upper hand position. Fix a plastic bag to the reel seat and keep adding weight until you achieve balance, then weight the bag.

    The range of weights is wide: a Danielsson L5W #8/12 weighs around 215 grams, whereas the Vision Tank 4 is close to 300 grams, so it pays to get this right.

    If the weight of the Danielsson does indeed match your rod you are unlikely to find a better reel at that price point. The quality of manufacture is first class and the drag is sealed for life.

    The Tank is good value - you can pick them up discounted in some places - but bear in mind that the drag is not completely sealed and needs end of season servicing. The silver version is much less prone to gravel rash.
    sound advice

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tweed123 View Post
    They are meant for a 12ft double hander that will be used with backing, running line and then the shooting head. Initially I though the smaller one but now the bigger
    The L5W 6nine is definitely more of a single handed rod reel or perhaps for a switch rod. The other you mention, the L5W 8twelve is the better of the two your looking at for your intended use on a double handed 12' rod. All these reels hold a good amount of backing (info available on the Danielsson website) and suitable for salmon. My 8twelve is used on an Lxi 12'9" 9/10 and balances it superbly. In fact it is my favourite outfit of all of them to use. As it is a 12' D/H rod you have you could also consider the F3W 7ten. It is fact has the same diameter as the L5W 8twelve but is lighter with a slightly shallower spool. I use the 7ten on an 11' 7/8 Switch rod so it may double up for you between a couple of shorter D/H rods or even a single handed rod. I use a H5D 11fourteen for 14' rods and above.

    In summary I would go for either the L5W 8twelve which could also work well on rods up to 14' for good balance or the F3W 7ten on rods say 11' to 13'. This is just my opinion and what I use them for, others may not agree, but I have used original Loop (designed by Danielsson) reels and now Danielsson's own for over 20 years and cannot see past them. Plus the service you get is second to none! I have asked for replacement parts and offered bank details at the time to cover costs and the parts have arrived within a few days with a note saying no charge!!! They now have a lifelong loyal customer.....

    Hope this all helps you in making a choice.
    Last edited by Jamross65; 17-04-2018 at 11:56 AM.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamross65 View Post
    The L5W 6nine is definitely more of a single handed rod reel or perhaps for a switch rod. The other you mention, the L5W 8twelve is the better of the two your looking at for your intended use on a double handed 12' rod. All these reels hold a good amount of backing (info available on the Danielsson website) and suitable for salmon. My 8twelve is used on an Lxi 12'9" 9/10 and balances it superbly. In fact it is my favourite outfit of all of them to use. As it is a 12' D/H rod you have you could also consider the F3W 7ten. It is fact has the same diameter as the L5W 8twelve but is lighter with a slightly shallower spool. I use the 7ten on an 11' 7/8 Switch rod so it may double up for you between a couple of shorter D/H rods or even a single handed rod. I use a H5D 11fourteen for 14' rods and above.

    In summary I would go for either the L5W 8twelve which could also work well on rods up to 14' for good balance or the F3W 7ten on rods say 11' to 13'. This is just my opinion and what I use them for, others may not agree, but I have used original Loop (designed by Danielsson) reels and now Danielsson's own for over 20 years and cannot see past them. Plus the service you get is second to none! I have asked for replacement parts and offered bank details at the time to cover costs and the parts have arrived within a few days with a note saying no charge!!! They now have a lifelong loyal customer.....

    Hope this all helps you in making a choice.

    Do you find the drag and build quality to be superior on the L5W over the F3W or are they the exact same? The L5W is a bit more expensive but I'm paying that much already it would be a bad idea to scrimp for such a little diference

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tweed123 View Post
    Do you find the drag and build quality to be superior on the L5W over the F3W or are they the exact same? The L5W is a bit more expensive but I'm paying that much already it would be a bad idea to scrimp for such a little diference
    Now that is a very sensible approach! For the sake of even waiting a couple of months to buy such a quality piece of more usable gear....

    All the Danielsson drags are super smooth with no perceptible start up inertia (jerk) when set high. The drag on the F3W is every bit as smooth but the baring surfaces will be slightly smaller I believe so in theory not as high a drag potentially, but plenty strong enough for the salmon fishing you will do with this outfit.

    I think the L5W will suit your needs and be a bit more adaptable for a wider range of rods should you choose to use it on others.

    Once you've bought one and compared to other reels you will not understand why some are so much more expensive....

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tweed123 View Post
    Well, I was cleaning some of my lines this morning and I realised that my current 8/9wt reel has come to the end of its (rather short) lifespan. The drag is no longer working properly and if you pull sudenly enough there is no drag at all and it just lets the line out freely and leads to tangles. So I was wondering can people adivse me of a good reel, or even if you have a 8/9wt reel for sale then I would be interested. Initially I was thinking cassete, and then I thought if I'm fishing shooting heads then a cassete isn't essential as ultimately I can just change the loop to loop conection from the running line to the heads. So are there any good reels that you can advise for me (not too much don't want to break the bank as planning on a week up to a river as well this year) or if any of you think you could part with one then I would greatly appreciate it.

    cheers
    Can your current reel not be fixed?

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    darlington
    Posts
    177

    Default Reel

    Hi again you are definitely going for the right maker 100% and all the advice is correct so save a bit more and buy once.

    Regards
    Chris

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Leipzig/Germany
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I would buy a ORVIS Battenkill or a Hardy Marquis Salmon One from eBay. If your pocket would be a little bit deeper the ATH S2 would be a perfect tool.

    Cheers

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Procurator Fishcal View Post
    Can your current reel not be fixed?

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Not worth it mate, is an airflo cassete reel. Was thinkign about getting a proper reel anyway so seemed like a sign

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
    Hi again you are definitely going for the right maker 100% and all the advice is correct so save a bit more and buy once.

    Regards
    Chris
    Thanks
    Yeah in this case it was waht wasn't said about danielsson reels just as much about what was said. I have never heard anythign but people signing their praise and never once found someone displeased with their products or service

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •