Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

There are many river water extraction ,water treatment works all over the UK , drink up everyone

After asbestos, lead in petrol, diesel, plastic items, polyester will become the next big thing I guess.

Apparently each time you wash an item of polyester clothing, tens of thousand (?) of microfibres get washed down the drain; a perfect size to be ingested by other 'creatures'. Its only just starting to be mentioned widely in the media.

Good news if you are a sheep farmer in about 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    After asbestos, lead in petrol, diesel, plastic items, polyester will become the next big thing I guess.

Apparently each time you wash an item of polyester clothing, tens of thousand (?) of microfibres get washed down the drain; a perfect size to be ingested by other 'creatures'. Its only just starting to be mentioned widely in the media.

Good news if you are a sheep farmer in about 15 years.
    Nah, wool will be contaminated with micro plastics by then .....

Most thing we eat ? drink too ? are cancerous to our body organs, can't win can we ?

A waste bag caught on the river bottom will surely become micro plastic given time. In this respect we all can do a lot. Over here we now have to pay for plastic waste bags and the use has become much less. Looking a few years back we had loads of bags when cleaning the river in the spring with the local club. Much less now. Much less cans too as there is a return deposit on them.
    Every time when going into a supermarket in the UK I am still surprised that almost anything (even when packed and sealed) is packed into a plastic bag. When I do my Shopping for a weeks fishing I surely would end up at least with 20 bags. (if I wouldn't refuse them) The results of this excessive use can be seen in the field and on river and stream, unfortunately.
    Icelander05

A very troubling scenario, billions of micro beads, now banned ,but they will be in circulation for years, rebranded /labelled products, sold on, I doubt the stocks just disappeared when the ban came in, here to stay. Synthetic fibres are everywhere, they offer more of the same.
    peter

Default micro Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Icelander05 View Post
    A waste bag caught on the river bottom will surely become micro plastic given time. In this respect we all can do a lot. Over here we now have to pay for plastic waste bags and the use has become much less. Looking a few years back we had loads of bags when cleaning the river in the spring with the local club. Much less now. Much less cans too as there is a return deposit on them.
    Every time when going into a supermarket in the UK I am still surprised that almost anything (even when packed and sealed) is packed into a plastic bag. When I do my Shopping for a weeks fishing I surely would end up at least with 20 bags. (if I wouldn't refuse them) The results of this excessive use can be seen in the field and on river and stream, unfortunately.
    Icelander05
    Micro Plastic is exactly as stated,,,its MICRO ie millions of tiny tiny plastic balls,its so small it can be/is put into everyday items such as Toothpaste,Shampoo,Deodorant,Soap...everytime you take a shower or brush your teeth among other things you then inevitably flush all the little tiny beads down the drain and into the system where it finally ends up being ingested by all sorts of wild life including Salmon
    1505532948295.jpg

We also pay for plastic bags and have been doing so for the past few years its had a very positive impact, the next thing on the agenda being tackled by government is the Plastic Bottle epidemic and god knows how long that will take as its a HUGEEEEEE problem..the amount of Bottled water being sold at the moment is Scary its gotten wayyyyyy out of hand imo it seems that every supermarket in the Land is selling Multi Packs of the stuff ,,12 Bottles for 2 seems to be the going rate..

CORONA

Think the real issue is all types of plastic waste not just manufactured micro plastics beads entering the watercourse via sewerage works .it all breaks down and often quicker than many think ,but it breaks down and settles into the ground and riverbed imo and continues to pollute for a long long time . The idea of biodegradable plastics is another joke imo. For example ,They encourage people to use these biodegradable plastic bags for composting but what does it biodegrade into ? Is there still a belief/notion if you can't see it it's not there ? would anyone want to eat food grown in a medium of degraded plastic ? The litter problem is treated by the authorities as action being seen to be done rather than really getting into it as the entire pollution argument is a can of worms they don't want opened ,so it's left to ""activists "" like people who want to enjoy a day on the beach with thar families ,those that don't want to wear gas masks in town and those dam pesky meddling anglers.

On a positive note and while not wishing to minimize the impact of micro plastic pollution, the river in the BBC report was the Mersey by the look of it. I was a kid in Manchester in the early 60's at which time the Mersey and it's tribs were the most polluted rivers in Europe and any thought of fish living in them was laughable. They are now full of fish and even the odd salmon. It shows what can be done if the will is there and how resilient nature is.

SP8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast