Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Very difficult to get fishing gear bargains on ebay now. As you say, the vast majority of sellers are now traders. A lot of the private stuff that is sold is at times so badly(and incorrectly...perhaps even falsely) advertised you probably wouldnt touch it anyway. I do however still partake in a regular trawl through, just incase the bargain of the century does happen to appear. Sometimes I just enjoy a giggle at the crazy second hand prices that people think their junk is worth. Dont you just love for example some of the regular quotes - 'lightly used' , when its clearly on its last legs, 'blank warranty card'...when it clearly ran out of warranty 8 years ago and is on its 5th owner!.....

There are bargains to be had but mostly agree that is just another online superstore 👍
    "If in doubt, put it back"!

Default I agree

Its a buyers market. The trick is to be busy to list things that you dont really care if you get money or not. Even if it covers postage and couple of quid. These add up to pay the fees. The annoying thing is you have to be bothered in the first place.

I saw an old loop opti 124 8wt sell for 357. A new zenith 136 8 went for 196 (when they were discounted), greys gr70 12ftv #7. 109.

Patagonia river salt jacket 46.

There are bargains but something that have a cult following go crazy or are being shill bidded.
    Its funny whats happening to us.
    Our lives have become digital -
    our friends, now virtual
    and everything you could ever want to know
    is just a click away.
    Experiencing the world through this endless second hand information isnt enough -
    if we want authenticity WE have to initiate it.

Quote Originally Posted by heather point View Post
    Overseas is no problem with ebay but you really should do it through the Global Shipping Program. I have sold almost as many items overseas as in the UK, you are cutting down on your potential market if you do not use it.
    The real advantage is they tell you when the article has been paid and then you send it with local postage to one of their global shipping centres in England and they then take responsibility and send it abroad.

The Global Shipping Programme appears to what has caused the problem! The seller is totally out of control once the hammer falls. In this case they sent the buyer erroneous messages and advice which gave him cause to believe that he had more time to pay than was actually part of the condition of sale.

Otherwise I agree entirely...other than a shipment to Russia I have had no other problems with that Programme.

Sorry for your trouble, castor. I hope things have worked out for you ok.
    Yup, I saw that Vom Hofe, too.
    There's also someone trying to sell ''an Orvis Lureflash reel'' - that's one rare bird! He has a Lureflash reel in an Orvis soft case and iIrc, is asking 60 for it.

There is the odd bargain still to be found, often as under-valued 'Buy It Nows' rather than auctions - but you have to be lucky or continually searching to find them fresh.
    A barely used C.F. Burheimer ''Vintage'' 14' 2", 8#, appeared at 1.05 pm last Friday. It was sold by 1.09 pm! R.R.P. on Burkie's site = $1,275, Buy It Now = 185.

Should be here tomorrow.
    Last edited by Lewis.Chessman; 14-02-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis.Chessman View Post
    Sorry for your trouble, castor. I hope things have worked out for you ok.
    Yup, I saw that Vom Hofe, too.
    There's also someone trying to sell ''an Orvis Lureflash reel'' - that's one rare bird! He has a Lureflash reel in an Orvis soft case and iIrc, is asking 60 for it.

There is the odd bargain still to be found, often as under-valued 'Buy It Nows' rather than auctions - but you have to be lucky or continually searching to find them fresh.
    A barely used C.F. Burheimer ''Vintage'' 14' 2", 8#, appeared at 1.05 pm last Friday. It was sold by 1.09 pm! R.R.P. on Burkie's site = $1,275, Buy It Now = 185.

Should be here tomorrow.
    Bargain!!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Well done Lewis Chessman! You will love it...I have one and I use it more than any other of my rods! You're lucky I didn't see it first !!!

What's the score with the book world?

That's encouraging news, castor! There's not much forum/user-related info on them, I'm buying on the name, really. I did pick up another Burkheimer two years ago though, a very sweet 7' 9" #3, again a bargain Buy It Now. And again, I 'happen'd upon it' just after release and scooped it up swiftly with my 'net'.
    Once a poacher ....
    When you live in the sticks the web is wonderful.

Funny you should ask about Sidney .... minutes after I posted above a tidy copy of Spencer's 'Pike on the Plug' came on to eBay - as a 'Buy It Now' at 30.
    I did.
    Just missing 'The Art of Lake Fishing with Sunk Fly' now!

But, yes, slow but positive. I have permission to view the Morsgail books next week! I hope to able to establish the dates of Spencer's visits, his catches and comments and, possibly, to match chapters with precise dates.
    Tomcurrane and I exchanged a few emails but I don't know if we'll be able to combine efforts. We shall see.

I've no wish to take castor's thread off topic but his issue is hopefully resolved and I have to show this to someone - now!

.................................................CF Burkheimer 14 ft2 4.JPG

.................................................CF Burkheimer 14 ft2 2.JPG

Is that a smear of dried, yellow glue between the top cork rings? I didn't pay my two hundred guineas for such shoddy workmanship! I'm sending this back to Mr. So-Called 'Kerry' F. Burkheimer with a strongly worded letter of disgust immediately.

It's a beautiful rod with, to my eye, handsome seat and cork inlay, in near-perfect condition but it has been fished and needed a good clean to get the muck out of the screw-threads and from under the eyes. There are a couple of minor scratches to one section but nothing terrible. After the flair of the handle, the ''translucent black'' blank and smoked eyes are subdued and decidedly 'unflashy'. It's very, very nice.
    Our main runs don't arrive until late June but I'll take this for a cast on 'fishless water' as soon as I can just for the joy of it.

Flash Braggart! []

...in fact I think that it is so tacky that I dare not say more in open forum

....see upcoming PM for further views!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12