Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  144
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    I have it on good authority that an entire episode of this series is filmed in Ireland.

So we will get the Irish version of the great benefits of salmon farming to a nation...RTE used to be far more imaginative than BBC Scotland, so it is going to be interesting to hear their version! As for governmental stance I simply can't wait...bring it on (as you youngsters say)

http://www.outerhebridesfisheriestru...MOP-report.pdf

and

http://www.outerhebridesfisheriestru...tic-Report.pdf

My memory told me it was the Langadale River on Lewis where some dodgy fish were caught.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Ladies and Gentlemen: We now have a new leader in the “Most Wrong And Misleading Reactionary Statements About Salmon Stocks” table…

Quote Originally Posted by TaB, S4 Ep1.
    “In the last two decades salmon stocks have declined from 10 to 3 million …and may be Endangered*”
    Wow.

Before the opening titles I was already reaching for the sick bag, worried that the wonderful scenery may be ignored at the content. Then, the lack of analysis of the salmon stocks of Skye and why they may have declined these last few decades was only compounded by the Fish Farmer coming on and giving the same gloss as most of the C&R pundits on there supporting classification.

IMHO it was a bit like I imagine an SCS Promo Video to be:– i.e. "it’s all at sea, Government will help and Cat 3 will save them. "

I do wonder about the Fish-Hugging component.

* Not the IUCN-approved sort, of course.
    Last edited by seeking; 13-01-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Default Mandarin say...

"We're from the government and we're here to help".

Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen: We now have a new leader in the “Most Wrong And Misleading Reactionary Statements About Salmon Stocks” table…

Wow.

Before the opening titles I was already reaching for the sick bag, worried that the wonderful scenery may be ignored at the content. Then, the lack of analysis of the salmon stocks of Skye and why they may have declined these last few decades was only compounded by the Fish Farmer coming on and giving the same gloss as most of the C&R pundits on there supporting classification.

IMHO it was a bit like I imagine an SCS Promo Video to be:– i.e. "it’s all at sea, Government will help and Cat 3 will save them. "

Yep, the wrong message from something supposed to be from anglers to non anglers. I wonder if Neen realises the damage she has caused?

Wow.

Exactly the same impression I got from watching it, disappointing but should I really have expected anything else from the BBC and the new politically correct world order. Don`t think it will be too long before the presenter decides sticking hooks in and stressing out these wonderful creatures, purely in the name of sport and financial reward, is too much for her and she decides that following the example of the other guy, spending weeks setting up cameras to film them only, is the way to go.

I really think she should grow a bit of backbone and chap a nice fresh fish they caught in these wonderful Cat 1 exclusive rivers they fish and present it with nice new baby potatoes at the end of the program.
    Last edited by salmo76; 14-01-2018 at 02:11 AM.

Koka kola Guest

Steady, Mr Seedless will be on your coat tails, someone will accuse me of an own goal then there'll be a law suit ....

Categorically No I didnt

I think you refer to a map, which colour coded catchments and is available here:

Attachment 26590

From this thread:
    Status of GB Salmon Rod Catches in 2016

And I was at pains to point out that if the period was extended back another decade or two the W Coast would be a swath of red. In reality because the already-degraded-by-aquaculture catchments were in a state of recovery, bolstered perhaps by an increase in Slice-modified genetic pollutants (i.e. farmers) swelling the catch components...

The longer time frame looks like this:

Attachment 26592
    Scottish Salmon Rod Catch Performance Over The Last 40 Years

Which the Seedless One cannot dodge...

PS - haven't seen the programme but it's been recorded so may comment anon...
    Why the miss leading scaelings on them, again? If wanting to show numbers in other reports wrong, use proper numbers yourself, no? Makes it your maps very bad.

Default Betrayal

saw the repeat on Alba last night. The presenter appeared at times to be reading from a Marine harvest script. It was an out and out betrayal. She dismissed the argument that salmon farming hits wild salmon numbers by saying "research shows that there are much more important problems out at sea." Maybe someone who knows Neen can ask her what that research is.

No doubt the farmers will be rejoicing over their new ally.

There was a section about the Forsa river and Uig lodge. What is main business of the owners of Uig? Smoking and selling farmed salmon!!! Talk about hypocrisy.
    Scottish Smoked Salmon from a Smokehouse in Scotland UK - Uig Lodge

Episode 2 on in five minutes.

After watching the first episode I will not be watching another . As already stated it was pure betrayal to our wild salmon and salmon fishers . Typical BBC and no doubt a broon envelope or two flying about in some way from Marine Harvest . I had to watch it with the sound turned down anyway as that Gaelic choochter talk gies ye a sore head . Bring back Paul Young full of the brandy !!!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast