Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  144
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 124
  1. #31

    Default

    Having fished in three out of four of the venues, ignoring all the very relevant points on salmon decline (or otherwise RF), it was just wonderful to see them again. Photgraphic Drones have their plusses and minusses, but they are a leap forward when it comes to this sort of production where once an unafordable helicoptor was requried. You simply can't get a sense of scale, context and related beauty without the panoramic sweep.

    I, which is really the Royal We, nearly decided to live in the Highlands and Islands at Rosehall; we didn't, however, I could also never prosper without the opportunity to visit and immerse myself in them from time to time. Thank you to Neen and Donnie who I know, and to those who participated who I hope to make acquaintence of at some point.

    Looking forward to the next episodes. For those seeking a more political meaining, I'd urge you not to forget the philosphical benefit of just enjoying these wonderful venues for themselves.

    Regards

    NHP
    Last edited by Nigel Passmore; 11-01-2018 at 06:22 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    3,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    PS - haven't seen the programme but it's been recorded so may comment anon...
    You’ll be glad(?) to hear the word “extinction” only gets used once.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Passmore View Post
    Having fished in three out of four of the venues, ignoring all the very relevant points on salmon decline (or otherwise RF), it was just wonderful to see them again. Photgraphic Drones have their plusses and minusses, but they are a leap forward when it comes to this sort of production where once an unafordable helicoptor was requried. You simply can't get a sense of scale, context and related beauty without the panoramic sweep.

    I, which is really the Royal We, nearly decided to live in the Highlands and Islands at Rosehall; we didn't, however, I could also never prosper without the opportunity to visit and immerse myself in them from time to time. Thank you to Neen and Donnie who I know, and to those who participated who I hope to make acquaintence of at some point.

    Looking forward to the next episodes. For those seeking a more political meaining, I'd urge you not to forget the philosphical benefit of just enjoying these wonderful venues for themselves.

    Regards

    NHP
    Donnie's a member of our wee East Coast club. He usually high tails it down here after the end of his own season. Missed catching up with him the last couple of season's though. That's a shame as he's always good craic.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cirencester
    Posts
    2,689

    Default

    Watched it last night; as fantastic as ever.

    Slightly odd to see Aaseagh Falls figure, but there we go!

    Need to get myself to Grimersta one day, that's for sure.

    Oscar.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Watched it last night; as fantastic as ever.

    Slightly odd to see Aaseagh Falls figure, but there we go!

    Need to get myself to Grimersta one day, that's for sure.

    Oscar.
    Just been having a look at Grimersta web site.
    It would appear that you need deep pockets and low expectations.
    Cheapest week is the best part of 2k going up to the best part of 3K for the best weeks.
    This with an average catch at the best time of 73 for the month of August. So 18 per week and average of 2 fish per rod.
    Almost makes Russia look quite reasonable!!
    Beautiful place though.
    Last edited by heather point; 12-01-2018 at 10:06 AM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    edzell
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    I enjoyed it, but was really frustrated on the cleaner fish part.
    A deliberate misinformation part, that can only have been inserted by aqua farming industry.
    Its been touted as the latest means of reducing lice for 30 years on the BBC, whilst lice numbers steadily increase over, yet is always stated as the new magic bullet.

    There is no way Neen, Donny or any of the other people on the show don't know this, so how does false PR like this get on the program?

    Cheers

    Mows

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Slightly odd to see Aaseagh Falls figure, but there we go!
    I have it on good authority that an entire episode of this series is filmed in Ireland.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    East Lothian
    Posts
    3,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mows View Post
    I enjoyed it, but was really frustrated on the cleaner fish part.
    A deliberate misinformation part, that can only have been inserted by aqua farming industry.
    Its been touted as the latest means of reducing lice for 30 years on the BBC, whilst lice numbers steadily increase over, yet is always stated as the new magic bullet.

    There is no way Neen, Donny or any of the other people on the show don't know this, so how does false PR like this get on the program?

    Cheers

    Mows
    My thoughts exactly, I can only assume an overly accommodating BBC attitude.

    Rather galling to see a niche programme back away from speaking frankly on the issue all of us understand so well.

    Whilst a programme like this isn't designed from the outset to run down the industry the impact of it has shaped the sport dramatically. If output like this isn't the opportunity to deliver a no punches pulled assessment of the impact of aquaculture to wild fish stocks what is?

    On a plus note, very nicely done photography.

  9. #39

    Default

    I suspect that the filming for this series was done at least a year, maybe more, ago when cleaner fish were the 'in' thing and before concerns regarding these cleaner fish spreading disease within the aquaculture industry and ultimately to wild salmon who would be subject to the increased levels of pathogens produced had been recognised.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    edzell
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wee-Eck View Post
    I suspect that the filming for this series was done at least a year, maybe more, ago when cleaner fish were the 'in' thing and before concerns regarding these cleaner fish spreading disease within the aquaculture industry and ultimately to wild salmon who would be subject to the increased levels of pathogens produced had been recognised.
    Eck,

    My gripe is that the cleaner fish have always been the "in thing" for the last 30 years.
    Every time there is bad publicity re lice numbers, the farming industry go back in to the cupboard, dust down the 30 year old statement on how they are just starting to use this new wonder treatment, the cleaner fish which will eat all the lice, because they will never eat the fish pellets.

    Cheers

    Mows

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •