Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8

Default Another nail in the coffin....

Government’s refusal to release fish disease information may be investigated

So it seems diseases have spread from farmed salmon to at least one other genus of fish.

"In response to Parliamentary Questions last November, Independent TD Clare Daly was told that 41 outbreaks of disease on salmon farms have been notified to the department in the last two years.

In a separate parliamentary reply, Minister for Agriculture and the Marine Michael Creed said extensive mortalities at one fish farm were due to Cardiomyopathy Syndrome (CMS), a severe viral cardiac disease. "

"Tony Lowes of the Boycott Farmed Salmon Campaign said recently published work in peer reviewed literature showed fish disease had spread from farmed salmon to locally caught wrasse in the southwest. "

Who would have thought the Government would try and cover that up ?

Thank you for that from the Irish Times. Similar behaviour to that which I remember from the Dail. Also similar to that which goes on here in Scotland.

This you will find applies equally to Ireland!

IMPORTANT! Please Read
    Last edited by castor; 10-01-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Default Another nail in the coffin

Perhaps not strictly the same issue but nevertheless along the same lines is Ian Gordon's post on his Blog today.

Salmon fishing in Scotland | River Spey | Ian Gordon Salmon Fishing

He makes so much sense to me and I think should be supported and encouraged to take a very very prominent role in saving our pastime.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmj View Post
    Perhaps not strictly the same issue but nevertheless along the same lines is Ian Gordon's post on his Blog today.

Salmon fishing in Scotland | River Spey | Ian Gordon Salmon Fishing

He makes so much sense to me and I think should be supported and encouraged to take a very very prominent role in saving our pastime.
    ‘Disagreement is part and parcel of salmon fishing’

‘I don’t want to push my own opinions on anybody’

Ian Gordon

‘The underlying principle of the AST was that our Work should be based on scientific fact not personal opinion’

Tony Andrews

I nearly choked on my tea when I read that, what a load of rubbish. It’s a shame they weren’t thinking so clearly when they kicked off stage 678 of the ‘stop the nets to save the salmon’ crusade. Or when one of them wrote the T&S article about the improved fishing that was going to come to the Esks now the nets were off.. . .

I’m not sure Mr Gordon understands the principles of citizen science either.

Fish farming is a crock of sh** mind. Like pesticide use and other things, the priority of weak leadership is short term economic gain. It was always thus.

If (unlike Mr G) you can accept that uncertainty in biology is INEVITABLE, then the evidence against fish farming is pretty overwhelming already. To change it requires political will.

When it comes down to it, that’s really all that is required. The available evidence indicated that netting and Angling had NO impact on stocks but that got stopped / restricted anyway.

The problem is that too many people are taking the old "let the Lord do what seemeth him good" approach of Eli, the high priest of Shiloh! In this case the "Lord" is HMSG and Dail Erin along with their multiplicity of civil service and quango agencies. Very close behind - close enough to be hand in glove with those bodies - come the myriad of commercial interests which operate the agricultural and aquaculture systems, with - of course their suppliers of feeds and chemicals.

As far as ramming personal opinion down peoples' throats is concerned I believe that there is no viable alternative when we have governments hell bent on short term (small) financial gain at the potential cost of totally genetically modifying major national resources. That there is no reliable scientific information is also down to the fact that the Industries (which have a stranglehold on scientific research and published data - along with the governments - will only publish sanitised information which supports their stance. The point is that action is required NOW to halt much of the damage which has not yet been done. To wait until the "Lord" sees the errors in their actions will mean that the salmon as we remember it will be an extinct species along with all that that implies. In the face of this situation all parties who would have it otherwise can only attempt to ram the truth down as many throats as possible.

The next move will most likely be Compulsory Purchase Orders on sporting estates which would of course give HMSG even greater control - whilst removing many of the doomsayers who work tirelessly behind the scenes to preserve their inheritances.

The original purpose of the farming business was to give employment opportunity to locals in (remote) areas where employment opportunity was virtually nil....of course we know how that developed in both countries. The situation is very similar in Ireland other than that the estates were obtained and broken up almost 100 years ago and much of the angling interests obtained by the state along the way!

If HMSG follow this path then we will have a situation in which the injured party - the possessor of riparian rights - will be the same party in law as the party which causes such damage and interference to the natural life cycle of the wild salmon.

To put it bluntly immediate action is now more necessary than at any previous time. But the vote of a few gillies in Kerry, Galway, Mayo and Donegal, or on West Coast Scotland and the Atlantic Isles, is a matter of minimum concern to the mighty machine of state. The same applies to the total West Coast and Island river systems in Scotland.

With regard to the non-aquaculture areas and the river systems within them in both Scotland and Ireland the time has come for immediate research into modern agricultural chemicals and their levels of run-off into those rivers. But we can be sure that if such research is carried out by Government / agricultural agencies/chemical companies it will firstly take forever and secondly will whitewash the use of such chemicals/biological agents.