Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Owner Single Hooks for Tube Flies

Hi.

Is anyone using Owner Single Hooks or different brand for their Tube Flies & if so what sizes do you use for various sizes of tube flies.
    I was also wondering if they hook well compared to tube doubles or trebles as I was considering buying some but thought it would be worth askin advice first.

Cheers,
    Lurig,

i use them Lurig 6s and 8s sit well, any tube really from standards to monkeys / sunrays. They hook well. I prefer them to doubles and trebles, also use partridge stingers.

I've been using them for a few seasons now.
    The size 1 is great for sunray/collie type flies.

I have found it pays to set the hook with the rod down and being harder than I would normally with standard hooks.

I have to say that once hooked I have lost very few on the owner cutting point

I've taken to Gamakatsu Octopus, in 2's, 4's and 6's. I still use trebles with hitches and sunrays, for now, and doubles with monkeys turned up in to the wing. The more I use singles the more I like them. I've not yet lost a fish on one that's been hooked and on for 10 seconds or more.

Interesting points- do you think a single sticks better as all of the pressure from the rod is concentrated onto just one point ?

Having used all the usual trebles/ doubles I find singles far better, even for shrimping, they do tend to stay put. I use from size 2 to 6 depending on fly/bait size, either micro barbed or barbless, I am currently replacing all my lure hooks with singles too. I really like raptor T6, a short shank carp hook, perfect for the job.
    peter

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypeter View Post
    Having used all the usual trebles/ doubles I find singles far better, even for shrimping, they do tend to stay put. I use from size 2 to 6 depending on fly/bait size, either micro barbed or barbless, I am currently replacing all my lure hooks with singles too. I really like raptor T6, a short shank carp hook, perfect for the job.
    peter
    Very interesting sneaky Peter- will give them a go