Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: sea lice

Default sea lice

do sea lice affect other species of fish than salmon I ask because I have done a fair bit of sea fishing from a boat and from shore
    and have never had any fish with lice.If they are as harmfull to salmon/sea trout why is it never mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by fishingdaft View Post
    do sea lice affect other species of fish than salmon I ask because I have done a fair bit of sea fishing from a boat and from shore
    and have never had any fish with lice.If they are as harmfull to salmon/sea trout why is it never mentioned

There are two species of sea lice found on salmon, Caligus elongates and Lepeophtheirus salmonis. C. elongates affects many species of marine fish, while L. salmonis is found only on salmon and related species. Sea lice are common on adult salmon, and fall off as the salmon return to freshwater which farmed salmon never do. In the wild they are never so numerous to cause serious problems. The biggest problem that salmon and sea trout have is in the smolt stage where they can become covered in sea lice larvae produced by the farmed salmon.
    Last edited by Wee-Eck; 06-12-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Fly Fishing & Rugby a Marriage made in Heaven.

I seem to remember catching a plaice with sea lice on.

Thank you for the replies

I have caught cod and pollock with sea lice