Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Getting what you pay for..

I have been using the same salmon fly reels since I started..the Daiwa osprey..and the Daiwa 813.I paid 39.99 for these reels when they first came out..I have a look online at fly reels and I really like eBay. You get pictures of the reel and you can see how they are put together..there are reels on the site from a couple of pounds and some are on for hundreds of pounds..but if you compare the inside photo of most they are much the same..not really a lot of difference..I have had my reels for about 20 years and have not had bother with rust or wearing on inside or outside are the materials used in a daiwa the same metals and materials the same or as near as these reals at a lot extra

Quote Originally Posted by fishingdaft View Post
    I have been using the same salmon fly reels since I started..the Daiwa osprey..and the Daiwa 813.I paid 39.99 for these reels when they first came out..I have a look online at fly reels and I really like eBay. You get pictures of the reel and you can see how they are put together..there are reels on the site from a couple of pounds and some are on for hundreds of pounds..but if you compare the inside photo of most they are much the same..not really a lot of difference..I have had my reels for about 20 years and have not had bother with rust or wearing on inside or outside are the materials used in a daiwa the same metals and materials the same or as near as these reals at a lot extra
    You cant compare old daiwa stuff to modern tackle it was made for actual fishermen not holiday anglers like todays gear. Im always on the look out for old daiwa gear on ebay.

I still have 4 ospreys for the bigger rods and still have an 813 for the 13' rod.never had any problems with them smashing reels..you pay more for them now than they cost when they first came on the scene..but still as noisey

Default Modern reels .......

Are there to feed the need of the beguiled, modern reels are over priced, over delicate, over complicated and too flashy by half.
    I have a bunch of Hardy Marquis Salmon No.2 cages and spools going back 40+years and they are still going strong after a lot of extreme use, occasionally one may get a bit of tlc from Willowburn, but that's all. These reels have operated faultlessly on all my rods, B&W, Hardy, SAGE, Vision Mag and now an FX1.
    It's the rod that's the important.

M
    Start ankle deep with a short line, all wild fish go back

Think the Diawa 813/815's were made by Young's of Redditch.
    Them and Shakespeare Beaulites and the Young's own reels 1535/1540's are all much the same. The Beaulites and Young's spools fit each other.
    Great reels - prefer mine to my dearer and quieter reels - easy.