Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  51
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Great dog story.....Mans best friend!

Angler Lindsay Reynolds decided to have a last cast on the Wye Bigsweir beat with his dog, Irish terrier Meg. He was fishing the fast flowing Florence Pool when he hooked a very big fish. Whilst moving to a better position to net the fish he slipped and fell in the river, losing his grip on the rod at the same time. As he went under the last thing he saw was his rod disappearing...........
    Lindsay managed to get to the bank and scrambled up minus rod, reel & fish. With his waders full of water he moved away from the river only to find Meg holding the rod with salmon still attached. The faithful Meg handed over the rod and the fish was safely landed and released.
    A dog worth its weight in gold I would say!

No self respecting Irish female would let a decent salmon go to waste!

Smile Mans best friend

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25037[/ATTACH
    Anyone who has ever owned an Irish Terrier will tell you that they are a bit alternative in nature, you can never be sure what they will do next, you take them for granted at your peril. They are clever dogs but they are certainly unlike labradors or spaniels. I was certainly very pleased and proud of my Irish. I have taken her fishing with me since she was a pup and she has never made any attempt to touch a rod. When we are fishing she never leaves me and the sound of the reel screaming brings her to side in a flash. On the day in question when I took a ducking I had real difficulties getting out of the water and had more to worry about than my dog or rod. When I surfaced I saw my rod disappearing down the middle of the river and thought to myself that it is the end of that. When I did eventually extricate myself from the river I had to lie on the bank for several minutes before I could move. I could not believe it when I eventually was able to walk down the side of the river and saw Meg above me on the bank with my rod in her mouth. What was amazing, she had turned her head so the rod was pointing in the air, it looked as if she was playing the fish. When I pulled the salmon in and released it, I can honestly tell you I have never been so relieved to see the back of a fish in my life. The only down side to the incident was a badly bruised ego on my part and a chewed up cork handle on an expensive rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Llandogo View Post
    Anyone who has ever owned an Irish Terrier will tell you that they are a bit alternative in nature, you can never be sure what they will do next, you take them for granted at your peril. They are clever dogs but they are certainly unlike labradors or spaniels. I was certainly very pleased and proud of my Irish. I have taken her fishing with me since she was a pup and she has never made any attempt to touch a rod. When we are fishing she never leaves me and the sound of the reel screaming brings her to side in a flash. On the day in question when I took a ducking I had real difficulties getting out of the water and had more to worry about than my dog or rod. When I surfaced I saw my rod disappearing down the middle of the river and thought to myself that it is the end of that. When I did eventually extricate myself from the river I had to lie on the bank for several minutes before I could move. I could not believe it when I eventually was able to walk down the side of the river and saw Meg above me on the bank with my rod in her mouth. What was amazing, she had turned her head so the rod was pointing in the air, it looked as if she was playing the fish. When I pulled the salmon in and released it, I can honestly tell you I have never been so relieved to see the back of a fish in my life. The only down side to the incident was a badly bruised ego on my part and a chewed up cork handle on an expensive rod.
    I was hoping it might be someone on here.......Thanks for adding the bits I missed out and in particular the photo!

Default ......

Quote Originally Posted by fly guy View Post
    Angler Lindsay Reynolds decided to have a last cast on the Wye Bigsweir beat with his dog, Irish terrier Meg. He was fishing the fast flowing Florence Pool when he hooked a very big fish. Whilst moving to a better position to net the fish he slipped and fell in the river, losing his grip on the rod at the same time. As he went under the last thing he saw was his rod disappearing...........
    Lindsay managed to get to the bank and scrambled up minus rod, reel & fish. With his waders full of water he moved away from the river only to find Meg holding the rod with salmon still attached. The faithful Meg handed over the rod and the fish was safely landed and released.
    A dog worth its weight in gold I would say!
    Brilliant story lol
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent or reoccurring opposition from mediocre minds, if A is a success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Work is X; Y is play, and Z is keeping your mouth shut.

ST
    Posh Tosh, Executioner, Stoat Blue Variant, Park Shrimp.........

42 Seatrooters lost 3 Big uns....oooft!!

Great story
    did the dog play it well

Default Mans best friend.i

Quote Originally Posted by auldsalmon View Post
    Great story
    did the dog play it well
    I don't know whether she did or not. To be honest I was busy trying not to drown at the time. That said when I hand lined the fish in it was as knackered as me, but Meg was as proud as punch so she must have played it ok.

Meg deserves some of these......

dog treats.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Llandogo View Post

By the way Lyndsay....What a cracker of a fish. Well done to both of you!!