Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Question River Nevis/River Ruel

Hi all

As I mentioned in the last thread I posted (river orchy), I'm moving to the Oban area in a week-ish, and I've been looking for somewhere for a day's late season fishing. Was flicking through my copy of Bruce Sandison's rivers and lochs of Scotland earlier and came across the entry on the river Nevis. Apparently there's a limited number of permits available per day. Does anyone have any experience of the river? Worth a shot?

I'm guessing that:

1) needs a lot of water
    2) distinct lack of fish of late due to salmon farms/supertrawlers/everything (although the little info I can find online suggestd there's been some recovery since the 90s).

If anyone could expand on that, that'd be great!
    At any rate, it's probably a slightly cheaper place to blank than the awe/orchy, and I do like the idea of casting a line in the shadow of Ben Nevis - very poetic and all that.

Back in Argyll, was also looking at the Ruel and maybe the Euchar, so any pointers there would be great too!

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed

YL
    "I almost stabbed me eye out on a pushbike and that REALLY hurt." Martin, G. (2011).

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshirelad15 View Post
    Hi all

As I mentioned in the last thread I posted (river orchy), I'm moving to the Oban area in a week-ish, and I've been looking for somewhere for a day's late season fishing. Was flicking through my copy of Bruce Sandison's rivers and lochs of Scotland earlier and came across the entry on the river Nevis. Apparently there's a limited number of permits available per day. Does anyone have any experience of the river? Worth a shot?

I'm guessing that:

1) needs a lot of water
    2) distinct lack of fish of late due to salmon farms/supertrawlers/everything (although the little info I can find online suggestd there's been some recovery since the 90s).

If anyone could expand on that, that'd be great!
    At any rate, it's probably a slightly cheaper place to blank than the awe/orchy, and I do like the idea of casting a line in the shadow of Ben Nevis - very poetic and all that.

Back in Argyll, was also looking at the Ruel and maybe the Euchar, so any pointers there would be great too!

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed

YL
    Hi YL i fished the Ruel back in august it was a nice wee river and had great water on the day i fished it but no sign of salmon, the guy who looks after it said there were a few about in june but it had had a very poor season, ive a wee report on here about it if you search river ruel kandahar beat
    tight lines
    craig
    It's too high, its too low, its too windy, there's nae fish al no be back...... Till tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by wormo View Post
    Hi YL i fished the Ruel back in august it was a nice wee river and had great water on the day i fished it but no sign of salmon, the guy who looks after it said there were a few about in june but it had had a very poor season, ive a wee report on here about it if you search river ruel kandahar beat
    tight lines
    craig
    Cheers Craig

Looked up your report, looks a cracking bit of water . Seems to have been a really poor season all over the place this year, I guess on the fragile West coast that makes for a reaaaally poor season! Hopefully next year's better and all being well I'm still in the area to take advantage.
    "I almost stabbed me eye out on a pushbike and that REALLY hurt." Martin, G. (2011).

Hidden Content