Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  143
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 106 of 106
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gods County
    Posts
    3,494

    Default

    I'm sorry, some of you raised some very relevant issues, but the issue of Salmon mortality after hooking and release is I fear far less serious than whats going on elsewhere in Salars world at the moment.I've only Salmon fished for going on 40 years now and I don't know it all by any means.However fishing Club,Assoc. and Ticket water as well as let rods,I've seen more fish go back than a lot of people and even after horrendous examples of "open cast" hook removal,atrocious handling and foul hooked fish"played" to an absolute stand still,I've honestly never ever seen a fish go belly up and die.More to the point I've never seen evidence either in the form of carcases in the water or washed up etc, of which surely there'd be plenty.Also honestly I've seen a few that needed careful resuscitation but nothing at all any where near what some experts would have you believe.
    This is just another smoke screen thrown out there, another reason to police Angling with new measures or maybe even a ban.
    We shouldn't give the topic forum space,oh I agree there's a place for education in fish "welfare" out there and sadly some human beings need to learn that a lot more than others.
    I'll leave it there or I'll be ranting on for ages, it won't achieve anything me going on just suffice to say I think the subject is over inflated bobbins(there, hows that for polite!).
    Yours,Pedro.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    I'm sorry, some of you raised some very relevant issues, but the issue of Salmon mortality after hooking and release is I fear far less serious than whats going on elsewhere in Salars world at the moment.I've only Salmon fished for going on 40 years now and I don't know it all by any means.However fishing Club,Assoc. and Ticket water as well as let rods,I've seen more fish go back than a lot of people and even after horrendous examples of "open cast" hook removal,atrocious handling and foul hooked fish"played" to an absolute stand still,I've honestly never ever seen a fish go belly up and die.More to the point I've never seen evidence either in the form of carcases in the water or washed up etc, of which surely there'd be plenty.Also honestly I've seen a few that needed careful resuscitation but nothing at all any where near what some experts would have you believe.
    This is just another smoke screen thrown out there, another reason to police Angling with new measures or maybe even a ban.
    We shouldn't give the topic forum space,oh I agree there's a place for education in fish "welfare" out there and sadly some human beings need to learn that a lot more than others.
    I'll leave it there or I'll be ranting on for ages, it won't achieve anything me going on just suffice to say I think the subject is over inflated bobbins(there, hows that for polite!).
    Yours,Pedro.
    I reckon there are two points though. The first is does the fish survive? The second is does it perform on the redds? A lot of this is to do with the second point. And our observations on the river are not much help in forming a view.

  3. #103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    I reckon there are two points though. The first is does the fish survive? The second is does it perform on the redds? A lot of this is to do with the second point. And our observations on the river are not much help in forming a view.
    You never get it on with the wife after you've been to the dentist?

  4. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lefthandup View Post
    You never get it on with the wife after you've been to the dentist?
    Its not quite like that sadly. If every time I had sex I had a child Id be even poorer than I am now. If the hens eggs are no longer fertile because she has been held out of the water for too long to get a vanity snap then she is as useless as if she was killed. Why take that risk? We know fine well they will have the best chance if kept in the water before returning.

  5. #105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Catch & Release Impacts on the River Dee | FishDee

    This study from the Aberdeenshire Dee suggests that the mortality resulting from C & R is in fact very low; 2-4%. The fish in the study not only survived being caught and released. They had to endure having a 5cm long radio tag inserted into their stomach.
    Suspect they have a bit of an axe to grind here.

  6. #106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    Its not quite like that sadly. If every time I had sex I had a child Id be even poorer than I am now. If the hens eggs are no longer fertile because she has been held out of the water for too long to get a vanity snap then she is as useless as if she was killed. Why take that risk? We know fine well they will have the best chance if kept in the water before returning.
    Lol.....I guess that can't be proven....but my post wasnt to be taken seriously; -)
    Last edited by lefthandup; 14-10-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •