Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Wading Jackets

Default Wading Jackets

I'm looking to buy a wading jacket but not too sure which ones are worth the money but I really don't want to break the banks on this but I will need it for fishing in October and November in Scotland.
    Can anybody recommend any good ones that aren't too expensive, I noticed john norris had a deal on guidline ones but they were only left in small when I found out.
    Also if anybody has a second hand large jacket in good nick for sale I would be interested.

Cheers

Hi don't know if this is the type of jacket your after and the reviews are mainly good with a few bad ones Ron Thompson ontario wading jacket. Plenty of pockets(too many really) sleaves unzip and its a nice jacket. I don't know how it will fair, but time will tell.50.00 ish. its warm and comfortable and won't break the bank

Mick

Default Re Ron Thompson ontario wading jacket

Hi just a note on the Ron Thompson ontario wading jacket, I have one but would not class it as a wading jacket as it to long for wading in but okay in shallow waters.

Default Jacket

I bought a greys jacket about 8 season ago still in great nick and hard wearing just give it a coat of fiver daves solution this season , it was well worth 80

Quote Originally Posted by K9rml View Post
    Hi just a note on the Ron Thompson ontario wading jacket, I have one but would not class it as a wading jacket as it to long for wading in but okay in shallow waters.
    I stand corrected K9 i'm only going by the description I have one also, but up to now due to our lovely english weather have not needed to use it. it feels ok on though would you not agree?

Mick

Default Re Ron Thompson ontario wading jacket

Hi Mickyo. yes I agree with you they are great jackets I use mine all the time in low water in winter but find they do not breath in hot weather so become wet inside in summer but on the plus side they are fully waterproof and as you say great for the price

There is no need to spend over 150. The best options for high quality hard wearing breathable jackets are:
    Snowbee Prestige - excellent design all round, very good pockets.
    Greys Strata - very good jacket for cold conditions but a mite too warm for summer use.
    Vision Vector - tough, completely waterproof in all conditions.

Non breathable jackets are are cheaper but sweaty and uncomfortable.

Vision Vector. Bomb proof, it's made form the same material as the Vision Ikon waders - 'generally recognized as the hardest wearing' I heard a salesperson say, whilst stood in front of a row of big ticket Simms waders yesterday.

The only downside of the Vector in my view is the lack of a back pocket. I do like a back pocket. They go for 125, you can negotiate down to 100 pretty much anywhere.

The Snowbee prestige. I'd say its very good but not ideal. It is lined, which OK might be comfy and just a tad warmer. However, the lining on the current version is not all the netting type and will impeed breathability significantly. It is particularly in the arms where breathability is really important given the closer fit and affect of casting.

The lining also impedes drying considerably. If you go too deep or fall in etc it will take a long time to dry out. An unlined jacket can be wiped basically dry with some kitchen towel in a few moments. The lined version will need turning through and hanging out overnight at least. Until then your in a wet jacket all day.

The only positive of the lining is, I guess, the taped joints on the membrane wear slower.

The Snowbee has a back pocket, is tough and waterproof. Priced at 145, you can get one for 120 if you ask.

Another vote for the vision vector here, had mine 2 years and love it , nice simple design and great material .

I didn't really like the cuff design at first but realised that I wasn't snagging my line anymore, this was always happening on the velcro straps on my previous jacket .

I also like the huge velcro closing pockets ,i dislike the multiple zip pockets on wading jackets ,more to go wrong especially if you expose them to saltwater.