Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you carry a knife when fishing ?

Just after opinions on the subject really. I always carry a lightweight folding knife with a sharp blade of about 3" in my wading jacket or waders just incase i end up in the river and anything im wearing inc my net etc gets snagged on a tree or another hazzard under water. Anyone else carry one just incase or is it just me being overly prepared for an unlikely situation ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Usually have and always have had a penknife of sorts in my pocket when fishing, theses days its a Swiss Army style one with scissors and other gubbins in it too.Past few years have carried a Leatherman item too, primarily for the pliers and wire cutters as well as screw driver function.
    I have to say the tool part of both items has come in handy on many many occasions, in fact significantly more so than the knife blades.However a good strong knife blade does come in useful when divvying up a good pork pie in the dark when Sea Trouting.
    A thought does strike me in that John Law may well have something to say on the carrying of more than one blade and really its something I ought to act on.I have to say I never carry either in public,leaving them in the tackle bag in the car until I actually get ready to fish.I know of folk who've been "bothered" carrying such items in public, say petrol stations etc when on the way to or from fishing.In fact one report fell on my ears of a guy who took his Leatherman from the holder on his belt and left it by his car seat, was asked where it was by the Police then received a caution for having a concealed weapon in a public place!.
    Seriously I do at times think of snapping the knife blade off completely to avoid such occurrences!
    Probably need a knife then for summat!.
    Pedro.

Mine stays in my wading jacket or bag when not fishing so would be in the boot or at work where i keep my gear. The laws on having a knife are pretty vague really. In my mind my reason for having it in my pocket when fishing is a good one but would your average police man or woman that usualy patrols the streets or city center agree that i may need it for tasks or as a 'just incase' item when wading.

Now what got me thinking about this is i bought a new knife when out and about today and its a camo "tactical" looking one whereas my usual knife although the same size and does the same thing has a high viz orange handle and looks more like a utility tool than the new one. It got me thinking would the law see one as being diffrent from the other based on how it looks.

Last edited by Rrrr; 13-08-2017 at 07:13 PM.

You can legally carry a knife with a folding blade 3" long or less.

You can carry a knife with a longer blade so long as you have good reason. But it's best not to if you can avoid it, there's not much fun in trying to convince plod that your 7" Bowie knife is necessary for filleting gudgeon.

Possession of weapons - Police.uk

I carry a knife with me most days.Shooting;fishing,dog training.You wouldn't believe how much it gets used.
    Cutting burrs out of dogs lugs,cutting bailing twine,cutting heather...

1502618195878.jpg

"What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?"

Jack Hargreaves OBE (31 December 191115 March 1994)

Quote Originally Posted by Tangled View Post
    You can legally carry a knife with a folding blade 3" long or less.

You can carry a knife with a longer blade so long as you have good reason. But it's best not to if you can avoid it, there's not much fun in trying to convince plod that your 7" Bowie knife is necessary for filleting gudgeon.

Possession of weapons - Police.uk
    I carry something that is suitable for the task i would use it for but prefer a blade that locks open after seeing a mate shut his fingers in a swiss army knife and cutting them pretty deep.

I think to be legal a pocket knife has to have a non locking blade less than three inches!
    I have one in a fishing pocket... it has a locking blade.

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    I carry a knife with me most days.Shooting;fishing,dog training.You wouldn't believe how much it gets used.
    Cutting burrs out of dogs lugs,cutting bailing twine,cutting heather...

1502618195878.jpg

Im the same at work ive got a little knife with a knackerd handle so glued a magnet on and its stuck inside the lid of my tool box and gets used constantly for opening parts boxes and cutting hoses etc.

Default carrying a knife

I carry a knife with me at all times. It has three small blades and I use it constantly for everyday tasks like opening boxes, cutting open present day plastic packaging, opening biscuit packets etc.

When I grew up it was de rigueur to carry a pen knife. I often used to carry a 12" camp knife for impromptu tree trimming etc but I'm slightly nervous these days. I have a beautiful hand made small knife for bleeding and gutting fish I used to carry on my wader belt, but again not so much now. Sadly use of common sense is against current police procedure so care, and knowledge of actual law rather than police interpretation of it is now necessary.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast