Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  83
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Fishing Car?

Quote Originally Posted by Klink Eastwood View Post
    Bombproof engine, go anywhere, loads of room, great fishing motor. If a company car hadnt came my way id guess id still have this. Big in the green laning game, rescues landies and all other 4x4s for fun. The only other off roader that i have put through its paces, that came marginally close to the capabilities of the trooper was the Suzuki Jimny

Attachment 25728
    Attachment 25729

Bonus point for the river/beat
    Morven on the Dee
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

I had a 2007 XC70 for 2 years and hated pretty much every one of the 35000 miles I did in it. The auto box is very lazy but smooth. The 2.4 D5 engine was loud and a bit gutless after stepping down form a BMW 530D M sport. It was a big heavy bus and handled pretty much like one too. It actually felt better to drive off road than it did on road but it was a great tow car when pulling the trailer tent or my motocross bikes. I traded it in back in August for a 2015 Skoda Octavia Scout with the DSG box which is much better to drive. It only has 185 bhp so isn't a flying machine but it is enough for normal driving and returns 45 mpg. It is smaller and lighter than the Volvo and handles better because of this but I doubt I would be as good in a crash. Plenty of cars out there to choose from for fishing and shooting and you don't have to go down the full blown 4x4 route to get something that will fit your needs. If I had a bit more cash to spend I would have looked at the Audi Allroad (A4 and A6) or the VW Alltrack (Passat) the Golf version is pretty much the same at the Octvia only more expensive.

More for anyone else reading this than the OP as he doesn’t mention dogs - but if you have dogs and crate them, take the crate with you when shopping around. I was surprised that mine (not huge) wouldn’t fit in the qashqai and a couple of other 4x4s. Kia too, I think.

I have an xc60. I like it a lot, it does the job on the light off roading I do, you can fit an 8ft Christmas tree in without breaking a sweat so assume it ticks the adult man sleeping box.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbert View Post
    I had a 2007 XC70 for 2 years and hated pretty much every one of the 35000 miles I did in it. The auto box is very lazy but smooth. The 2.4 D5 engine was loud and a bit gutless after stepping down form a BMW 530D M sport. It was a big heavy bus and handled pretty much like one too. It actually felt better to drive off road than it did on road but it was a great tow car when pulling the trailer tent or my motocross bikes. I traded it in back in August for a 2015 Skoda Octavia Scout with the DSG box which is much better to drive. It only has 185 bhp so isn't a flying machine but it is enough for normal driving and returns 45 mpg. It is smaller and lighter than the Volvo and handles better because of this but I doubt I would be as good in a crash. Plenty of cars out there to choose from for fishing and shooting and you don't have to go down the full blown 4x4 route to get something that will fit your needs. If I had a bit more cash to spend I would have looked at the Audi Allroad (A4 and A6) or the VW Alltrack (Passat) the Golf version is pretty much the same at the Octvia only more expensive.
    I have to agree that the Volvo Auto Boxes are slow. They are nowhere near as slick or sporty as level of the German Competition, BM or Audi. I'm running the 3.2 Auto and it sucks the life out of the engine, you really have to give it some stick to get the performance out of it.

That said, they aren't designed to be sporty and if you give away the best part of 100Bhp and probably near 100lbs of Torque in a rear wheel drive sports car going from the 530 to a 6 year old 4WD family estate car there's going to be a whopping reduction in performance. The BM 3.0D is probably the next performance jump in diesel terms from the D5 and is significantly more expensive.

I much prefer the manual in volvos and audi/vw but on the big mercs and bmws i prefer the auto. The auto in the merc s class is about the best ive ever driven.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Land Rovers, VOlvos, Audis, Mercedes...

Fancy.
    Heero just pawn in game of life.

Black one is my rig. It gets me around alright.

IMG_0571.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Heero View Post
    Black one is my rig. It gets me around alright.

IMG_0571.jpg
    How much is a gallon of fuel in your neck of the woods?

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    How much is a gallon of fuel in your neck of the woods?
    Roughly $2.50/gallon (2.5 genuine Merkin monies) at the moment.

Default Fishing Push Bike anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Heero View Post
    Roughly $2.50/gallon (2.5 genuine Merkin monies) at the moment.
    Other day I had to pay £1.38 / litre on the motorway...robbing barstewards !
    Approx. £6.21 / gallon.
    US $ @ about 1.30 @ mo...$8.07 / gallon....

Only problem is last time me and a push iron met with a fishing rod...resulted in rod in front wheel...and me going A over T over the handlebars ...no rod, knackered front wheel, 4 stitches in my forehead ?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789