Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Help with rod choice

Hi All,

I am in the market to buy my first salmon spey rod, which will be in the 13.5 to 15ft length for line 9/10wt. I have looked at what's affordable for me and am left with the following choices:

-Loop Classic - Second hand
    -Snowbee Diamond Spey - Second hand
    -Shakespeare Expedition Salmon Fly - New
    -Shakespeare Oracle Expedition - New (twice the price of the Shakespeare Expedition, not oracle)
    -Vision Atom

Obviously the loop is a bit more expensive, but I don t want a rod that I will change in 6months because it is too limited or anything. I also quite like the fact that the Shakespeares are in 6 section as is quite convenient for transport..

I would really appreciate your guidance and opinion!

Thanks a lot

Default Loop

Get the loop

That one is an easy casting model plus will hold its value better.
    Itís funny whats happening to us.
    Our lives have become digital -
    our friends, now virtual
    and everything you could ever want to know
    is just a click away.
    Experiencing the world through this endless second hand information isnít enough -
    if we want authenticity Ė WE have to initiate it.

Hope you don't think I'm being cheeky here, but what is your ideal budget?

I'm sure you'd get a lot of very useful suggestions to great rods if we knew.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Don CurlyHorny Guest

First rod, definitely buy second hand. It`ll get abused

Scrap all those on your list, there will be better rods at cracking prices come available in the classifieds section, those that many anglers on here would have been delighted to start off their fly fishing with.

If its a decent or mid sized river you are more likely to fish, a 14 is a good length rod to start with as your casting develops and your not likely to be under gunned too much on the bigger, spring, high waters

Buy decent quality lines, dont scrimp in this department

The biggest advice i can give is, dont let others on here choose your rod for you, but please let those on here with the experience match your line for you to the rod you eventually choose.

Line quality and set up is more important for you to get you casting consistently, getting a line out and "fishing"

DCH
    Last edited by Don CurlyHorny; 20-04-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the advice! My budget is 150-200 but including reel and line... I will definitely concentrate most of the spending on rod and line as per advice! Lines are quite expensive especially as I m looking at a multi tip so I only need one reel/spool...

I am indeed inclined to buy "top" quality in second hand rather than entry level, but I have read so many good thinks on the Shakespeare that I m hesitating especially as they are 6pcs rods, but if everyone say the loop is better...

I m actually gearing up for a trip to the Dee up in the Scotland in about 3weeks...

Thanks for the help!

look at hardy zenith 13/6 thread. Patrick has lost his marbles !! This rod will last you a lifetime and is just pure brilliant. Ok i confess, have the 12/6, 13/6 and 14/6 zenith some of which I have acquired from pals on here that have clearly been suffering from the same affliction as Patrick. They are a joy to cast with. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pati View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the advice! My budget is 150-200 but including reel and line... I will definitely concentrate most of the spending on rod and line as per advice! Lines are quite expensive especially as I m looking at a multi tip so I only need one reel/spool...

I am indeed inclined to buy "top" quality in second hand rather than entry level, but I have read so many good thinks on the Shakespeare that I m hesitating especially as they are 6pcs rods, but if everyone say the loop is better...

I m actually gearing up for a trip to the Dee up in the Scotland in about 3weeks...

Thanks for the help!
    just a suggestion BUT. The 13'9 Shakey Scandi is available new for £120 from John Norris. Add an Airflo Rage head on £19.99 at present from the same retailer....and ask for a deal. JN are great to deal with and may well give you a discount. A spool of 30lb green Amnesia at £5.99 off ebay as running line and a selection of Airflo polyleaders.

That's a set up that will more than get you up and running.

(Edit....that will leave you some pennies for something like an old Shakey Beaulite/Condex/JW Young 1540 reel off ebay. All pretty much the same reel and bombproof)
    Last edited by westie4566; 21-04-2017 at 12:07 AM.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Hi all

I have also just seen a Guideline Exceed NEW for 145£. How does it compare with the Loop Classic and the Snowbee Diamond?

Thanks again for the help, at this stage I think it will be either a second hand or the Oracle Expedition!

Pat

The Exceed is a decent rod and a great for shooting head work, it got some good reviews and feedback on the forum to.

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/fo...read49035.html

Default Casting lesson

I would suggest you book a casting lesson with a salmon tutor, from that you should learn what is what in the fly fishing eqpt department. It's so difficult to advise, however I would emphasise do not scrimp on your fly line(s), a reel is only a tool for holding the line so a mechanical marvel of space age technology costing a small mortgage is not the answer.

M
    Last edited by HOWKEMOOT; 21-04-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Start ankle deep with a short line, all wild fish go back

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast