Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  60
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Any Salmon in Scotland?

Anybody know of their whereabouts? Looking at catch reports today doesn't make good reading 1 on the Dee 1 on the Tay, 3 on the Spey, whoopee, etc etc.
    Do they not get reported or is it as dire as it would appear or is that normal for this time of the year in Scotland?

Fairhope

Nae water.....simples.

The rivers are on their bones at the moment.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Plenty fish in the lies in middle Dee but very unusual spring weather - summer levels, cold, north and east winds, crystal clear water, fish off the take and few running. Working out tactics not easy, plus lots of poor takes with fish coming off after a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairhope View Post
    Anybody know of their whereabouts? Looking at catch reports today doesn't make good reading 1 on the Dee 1 on the Tay, 3 on the Spey, whoopee, etc etc.
    Do they not get reported or is it as dire as it would appear or is that normal for this time of the year in Scotland?

Fairhope
    low water, dwindling runs , its no secret that its gone downhill over the past few years......,
    but some of the posts on here over the last few weeks of fish from the Esk, Dee, Spey ,Tummel and Tay plus a few others have been simply superb in both quality and noticeable condition and size,
    have a look through the threads theres a few there
    It's too high, its too low, its too windy, there's nae fish al no be back...... Till tomorrow

Beat owners are keeping the big catches off air as they want to keep the prices low as a thank you for all the **** years!!!

Smile I believe there are fish....

If you are basing your comments on the numbers you see on Fishpal, then you might be correct. However Fishpal do not control much or at least the best. I can assure you there are plenty of fish coming off the more renown and classic beats. Water is low in many places again this Spring so choose the bigger rivers, you might be surprised.

M
    Start ankle deep with a short line, all wild fish go back

62 off the Tay this week with 10 today, very low water at the moment so slowing things up a bit, remember that the last few years have not been normal spring weather, we were on Tulchan at the end of march and the water temp was 43. A few years ago I was on the Naver in March when there was 5 feet of snow!
    It's changing times, we have seen big runs of fish on the Findhorn with a lot of very big fish seen and caught, some wonder if the fish know it's going to be a dry year but I'm not so sure, it's just that every yer is different, the fish will come when conditions suit, Scotland is still a great place to fish for Salmon !

Quote Originally Posted by bankwheel View Post
    Scotland is still a great place to fish for Salmon !
    Sure is bankwheel, there's nowhere better. I've fished there all my life and will continue to do so. Wish there were a few more fish about but then - I'm a salmon fisherman!

Fairhope

Quote Originally Posted by Fairhope View Post
    This is probably the case on the Spey, and I'd be prepared to bet that there have been more than three caught there today.

Fishpal has never had much traction on the Spey, and only a handful of beats/estates bother to report daily catches. The weekly report, which is basically a shortened version of the Fishery Board's weekly report, gives a better picture, but there are a lot of beats that, tiresomely, don't even report their weekly catches there.

As somebody has already suggested, it makes sense to have a go on the bigger rivers just now as fish are definatly running. This week tho, there were sealiced fish caught at Pert on the N Esk...and its on its bones? There are fish about but are simply not being reported for whatever reason. and personally I'd like to see more reports of fish being caught as it encourages others to get out there!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast