Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Flyfishing for Salmon in Saltwater

This topic came up in the saltwater section but I thought that it merited a thread of its own. Its not an area discussed frequently but probably a more widespread practice than we realise I thought that this topic would be an interesting one for discussion. Plenty sea trout caught in the salt but you don't get many reports of salmon. The one major place I can think of is the Gierann Mill sea pools on North Uist but there must be others, Orkney for example where sea trout fishing in saltwater is practiced extensively?

Originally Posted by Sparrow22
    Fascinating, and one of these days I may get lucky and be forced to accompany someone bankrolling it, but it is a little different from Salmon fishing. I had hoped the thread may have discussed Atlantic Salmon fishing in the salt before they start up their river
    Last edited by splash; 01-11-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    This topic came up in the saltwater section but I thought that it merited a thread of its own. Its not an area discussed frequently but probably a more widespread practice than we realise I thought that this topic would be an interesting topic for discussion. Plenty sea trout caught in the salt but you don't get many reports of salmon. The one major place I can think of is the Gierann Mill sea pools on North Uist but there must be others, Orkney for example where sea trout fishing in saltwater is practiced extensively

I have posted this reply in the saltwater section.
    Hello Sparrow 22

Have fished for them at Amhuinnsuidhe Castle,North Harris,Outer Hebrides.
    weblink http://www.amhuinnsuidhe.com/
    This was where the Castle river meets the sea which is like a small waterfall really.
    If there aint enough water the fish congregate in a big shoal ready to run the falls.
    It is easy to foul hook fish there so you need to fish with a floater and muddler on a single handed rod and single hook.Its very visual sport as you have literally hundreds of salmon milling around and the current swings the fly nicely over them.We usually got a fish whilst trying a cast there but its an awesome place to go for a break.You can fish in the Lochs from boat or bank,you can fish the small river systems or you fish in the sea,something for everyone.No need for a double hander as well.

Was there a few years back and met CLaG,and Stan Headley as well as some of the sporting agents who were great fun.Stan was quite a fisher who's considerable knowledge of fishing lochs stood him in good stead.He caught a large number of fish with his mate Ian Muir.He is also a bit of a bandit on the snooker tableCLaG caught a belter from the Voshimid river,covered in lice and beautifully shaped iirc.Aye some good memories from there.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbanks View Post
    I have posted this reply in the saltwater section.
    Hello Sparrow 22

Have fished for them at Amhuinnsuidhe Castle,North Harris,Outer Hebrides.
    weblink http://www.amhuinnsuidhe.com/
    This was where the Castle river meets the sea which is like a small waterfall really.
    If there aint enough water the fish congregate in a big shoal ready to run the falls.
    It is easy to foul hook fish there so you need to fish with a floater and muddler on a single handed rod and single hook.Its very visual sport as you have literally hundreds of salmon milling around and the current swings the fly nicely over them.We usually got a fish whilst trying a cast there but its an awesome place to go for a break.You can fish in the Lochs from boat or bank,you can fish the small river systems or you fish in the sea,something for everyone.No need for a double hander as well.

Was there a few years back and met CLaG,and Stan Headley as well as some of the sporting agents who were great fun.Stan was quite a fisher who's considerable knowledge of fishing lochs stood him in good stead.He caught a large number of fish with his mate Ian Muir.He is also a bit of a bandit on the snooker tableCLaG caught a belter from the Voshimid river,covered in lice and beautifully shaped iirc.Aye some good memories from there.
    The Castle River is about the only place I have found so far where salmon (unlike sea trout)take well in the sea immediately out from a river, as opposed to a sea pool. However, the considred opinion is that the salmon shoals there aren't going to run that river, but elsewhere such as Scourst a few miles along the coast. That is in line with a more observed ability to catch them in the sea such as in parts of the Forth estuary, the Kyle of Durness etc With the sea, normally the biggest trouble is finding them so people are less inclined to bother?

Quote Originally Posted by CLaG
    The Castle River is about the only place I have found so far where salmon (unlike sea trout)take well in the sea immediately out from a river, as opposed to a sea pool. ,
    Again in the Hebrides, there is the Bruton Stream at Uig - never been there, but from the pictures I've seen it appears to be more than just a sea pool, and it seems quite well established as a place to catch fish - enough so to warrant a particular mention inthe prospectus: http://www.sportinglets.co.uk/uiglodge.htm

The bottom pool at Bolstad on the Vosso was the estuary. Because of the volume of water coming down the river, I'm not sure how salty some of it was, though there was seaweed on the rocks. The fresh water lies in a layer over the top of the salt, but one of the best taking places in the pool (though admittedly not one that was really fishable with a fly) was where the shelf under the river's flow dropped off into the fjord proper. The fish seemed to lie quite close up to the dropoff, but definitely below the level of the main flow, so I suspect they were in salt water. Another few yards out into the fjord and you could catch cod.

Incidentally, my great grandmother once caught a salmon while trolling for mackerel in the Killary Harbour, which is the estuary for the Erriff and Bundorragha systems. Because the mouth is quite narrow, it might be a place to target fish in the salt; I've occasionally seen shoals coming in on the tide though have never fished for them.

There are a cople of places I know of in the tidal stretches of the Camel where you can hook up. I'm hopefully going to try one late next week. One pool is brackish at low water and salt salt on the high tide. The other goes fresh/brakish as it's much further inland.

As for off the seashore, my impression is they normally head for the reefs where there are plenty of sandeels and shrimps. I know of one instance where a salmon was caught from a boat here while bass fishing with a live sandeel.
    Last edited by Beanzy; 01-11-2007 at 09:59 PM.

Hi Beanzy

caught a salmon on a sandeel while fishing for seatrout,the nearest river was at least 20 miles away

Default Here is a Tip!!!

I work the summer on the Grimersta system on the Isle of Lewis. The estuary in Stornoway get full of sea trout and salmon in the saltwater, and the two really small spate rivers that they spawn in can be great fishing in spate. There are two sides to fish it if anyone has been there, the Tong side and the Stainish side which is ideal because you can fish different sides to aviod casting into 30mph winds!!

The best success I have had with the seatrout is at half tide where the tide is ripping in or out. Any sand ell imitation will catch and the current does all the work!!! At full tide tackle up a floating line with some size 6 or 8 silver stoat or blue charm work for me, also had success with teal blue and silver and muddlers.

Never managed to catch any salmon in the day, however had had several between 5 and 7 in the morning before the sun is high. All on a sunray shadow. However there were loads of fish about and I still only managed a few with lots of attempts!!! But it's possible!!

Anyone want to find out more about permits or where it is pm me will be happy to help!
    Happy fishing
    Dry shoes don't catch fish!!!!Hidden Content

ClaG, where did you get the information that the shoals in front of the Castle River at Amhuinnsuidhe are not going to run that river? I find that difficult to believe.

I think they take so readily there as they are settled in front of a small cliff and in brackish water.

They also occasionally take in at least two other locations at Amhuinnsuidhe, these being at Kinloch Resort, at the mouth of the rivers leading to lochs Voshmid and Ulladale; and last year I was lucky enough to get one on a size 8 executioner in the estuary where the flow comes out of Loch a’Ghlinnie.

They are taken in the sea in at least 4 locations in Lewis: the Steinish and Tong pools in Broad Bay, plus the Bruton Stream on the Fhorsa and at the Hamanavay River estuary.

Additionally, quite a few are taken in the Sea Pools at Barvas and Garynahine, which must have significant salt concentrations at high tide and likewise the saltings at the lower end of the Gress river.

I’m sure they could be taken at the mouth of the Creed, where it not a sanctuary. I would be happy to do the experiment if I were allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sexy loops View Post
    I work the summer on the Grimersta system on the Isle of Lewis. The estuary in Stornoway get full of sea trout and salmon in the saltwater, and the two really small spate rivers that they spawn in can be great fishing in spate. There are two sides to fish it if anyone has been there, the Tong side and the Stainish side which is ideal because you can fish different sides to aviod casting into 30mph winds!!

The best success I have had with the seatrout is at half tide where the tide is ripping in or out. Any sand ell imitation will catch and the current does all the work!!! At full tide tackle up a floating line with some size 6 or 8 silver stoat or blue charm work for me, also had success with teal blue and silver and muddlers.

Never managed to catch any salmon in the day, however had had several between 5 and 7 in the morning before the sun is high. All on a sunray shadow. However there were loads of fish about and I still only managed a few with lots of attempts!!! But it's possible!!

Anyone want to find out more about permits or where it is pm me will be happy to help!
    Happy fishing
    You forgot to mention the dangererous shifting sands at the Steinish Pool. Unless you know the place, it is best to stick to the gravel shores.