Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Line for my Loomis

I've a 14ft 9/10 GLX stinger 3 piece and am struggling to get a line to match it.

Any recommendations please? Interested to hear what's worked for you

Many thanks
    " Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to consider, and for fools to pass by without consideration. "

Quote Originally Posted by SnapT14 View Post
    I've a 14ft 9/10 GLX stinger 3 piece and am struggling to get a line to match it.

Many thanks
    My first choice would be a 38g afs.

Quote Originally Posted by SnapT14 View Post

Many thanks
    Can't confirm from personal experience of your Loomis rod but I find for the various rods I use, the Rio line recommendations seem to work for me. I have no connection with Rio and know from personal experience that similar length and weight heads from other makes e.g. Guideline work equally as well.

For your rod they recommend a 580 or 640 grain Scandi (38 or 42 grams) 39/40 feet or a 700 or 750 grain Skagit. The heavier line if you prefer a deeper loading rod.

You can find the full list on the Rio website Spey pages and use the suggested line weights and head lengths to have a look across all manufacturers for similar lines.

Hope this helps.

I am not the best caster in the world but i had both the 9/10AFS at 38 gram and the 10/11 at 42 grams i think.
    I found the 10/11 loaded the rod much better for me but again a better caster may feel the 38g is more suited.
    And a gillie on the Tay( cant recall who) also preferred it with the heavier line and suggested cutting off the first 2 or 3 ft of any AFS as he felt it gave a better turnover.
    I have not done this yet so cant comment how much it helps or doesnt.
    Last edited by hairyscotsman; 19-03-2017 at 09:09 PM.

The Rage 600 grain heads go well on this.

Regards, Tyke.

Thanks for all your help on this
    " Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to consider, and for fools to pass by without consideration. "