Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Regretting ditching maxima.

Just grabbed some shimano mono in 14lb as its as thin as 10lb maxima and so far it feel awful springing from the reel etc. Hoping a good soak in warm water will sort it or im away to grab some maxima later.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Just grabbed some shimano mono in 14lb as its as thin as 10lb maxima and so far it feel awful springing from the reel etc. Hoping a good soak in warm water will sort it or im away to grab some maxima later.

I tend to prefer clear Berkley Trilene xl for light spinning up and bait fishing up to about 12lb bs.
    Maxima seems very thick in comparison although it is very abrasion resistant.
    I am tending to use braid when distance is a key factor. I use Daiwa J Braid up to 30lb bs for heavier spinning
    for salmon or off the rocks for pollock.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicharito View Post
    I tend to prefer clear Berkley Trilene xl for light spinning up and bait fishing up to about 12lb bs.
    Maxima seems very thick in comparison although it is very abrasion resistant.
    I am tending to use braid when distance is a key factor. I use Daiwa J Braid up to 30lb bs for heavier spinning
    for salmon or off the rocks for pollock.
    I use trieline aswel the one in the red pack the xl stuff and its great but the place i get it only sells up to 10lb. This shimano stuff feels much better after a soak as it was from a big diameter spool so was coiling off the reel but it seems pretty supple now. Ill probably go for braid in summer for mepps etc when distance becomes an issue

I use trieline aswel the one in the red pack the xl stuff and its great but the place i get it only sells up to 10lb. This shimano stuff feels much better after a soak as it was from a big diameter spool so was coiling off the reel but it seems pretty supple now. Ill probably go for braid in summer for mepps etc when distance becomes an issue

I usually get my Trilene off ebay.
    8lb is what I use for the sea trout on the Till fishing worm or mepps.
    I am often using size 2 mepps and it's perfect.
    Tend to use braid on the bottom Tweed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicharito View Post
    I usually get my Trilene off ebay.
    8lb is what I use for the sea trout on the Till fishing worm or mepps.
    I am often using size 2 mepps and it's perfect.
    Tend to use braid on the bottom Tweed.
    Are mepps and light line the order of the day on the till ? I fish the northumbrian anglers federation waters and they have water on the till near wooler so going to give that a go in the summer for seatrout for a change of scenery

Are mepps and light line the order of the day on the till ? I fish the northumbrian anglers federation waters and they have water on the till near wooler so going to give that a go in the summer for seatrout for a change of scenery

Well worth a go if you get the water from April onwards . I seldom have needed to go any heavier than 8lb line on the Till and have caught plenty on worm , mepps and flying C.
    Night fishers have done well on your stretch below WoolerWater with fly although not my speciality.
    I used to fish your stretch when TAS had it. Sadly TAS have lost all their water on the Till so it's Felling Fly Fishers and Chatton Angling Association for me now.
    Tight lines .

Cheers. I know its a couple of small stretches available for the full season so will give them a go at some point. Im quite happy worming as im not too picky what i catch and wouldnt mind a grayling.