Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Confusing fish weight calculators

After catching my first ever springer yesterday and quickly measuring it at 37" in length and 22" girth, possibly slightly more as we couldn't hold the damn thing very long as it was so strong, I used the Sturdy scale and it says 22lb. It certainly felt a lot heavier than a 20lb one I caught in October which was weighed accurately in the net.
    Today I discovered Alistair Gowans calculator and his reading would give a weight of 26lb, some difference so I am confused.
    Only wish my scales hadn't been in the hut and seconds after the photo was taken it literally leapt free of my grip and took off like a torpedo, which we were pleased to see.
    The photo doesn't actually show the girth which was huge.
    Anyway I am delighted to have caught it but only wish I had the scales with me instead of this guessing game.

Don't get hung up on weight....it's all about the experience of catching the fish, the river, the home made fly, the netting and the releasing.
    I've caught carp up to 30 odd pound and my most treasured memory is a 12lb fish!

Sturdy is nearly always wildly optimistic for U.K. fish. It is probably ok for the Vosso. As for 26lb for a 37" fish, only if it was a carp! Don't get hung up on weight, you're not selling or eating it! Sounds like a great fish and I am very jealous. Well done.

I am tempted to say "don't go there!"

Nothing causes more angst on this Forum than this question.

As Loxie points out, the 'scales' are only indicative with wide margins of error.

I think it it suffices to say that your fish was one of the finest and fattest springers ever seen on here. It was clearly over 20 lbs but by how much we will never know.

Agree with others, whether it was 22 or 26 lbs shouldn't make any difference to your enjoyment of a great capture. I haven't weighed a salmon for many a year but am happy with my estimates based on plenty of fish that I have seen weighed. Yet to catch a 20 lb er !

I'd suggest you use a different scale that is generally more accurate, the SFF scale.

Really big fresh fish anything over 20lb - 'an absolute stonker' (meaning - god I'm so envious)
    Big fresh fish but maybe not as big as that blokes last week (ie between 15 and 20lb) - 'a stonker' (meaning - bleeding huge but my fish just must have been bigger than that, I'm envious deep down I know my fish was smaller, much)
    Big but around 12 - 18lb - 'A great fish mate well done' (meaning - a slight edge to the congratulations, said so you don't look like a miserable mean git, although we all know we are when we say it)

Anything else - pick at random from the following (these are normally offered by those who've not been out yet or have blanked so far this season. Some may have never caught a fish and are really getting bitter about it)

No way that's a springer
    Kelt!
    Baggot and or rawner
    Croc
    Shame you took a picture like that with it on the grass
    Its dead! Look at the eye

etc.

I know this isn't very helpful. I'm just bleeding jealous of such a magnificent, mighty beautiful fish! (even if it is a sea trout ) Well done, may you have many more. Enjoy the moment and don't worry too much about exact weight. It's how you remember it in 10 years time that carries the real weight.

Its easier to have a little reuben heaton pocket scale on you and then just quickly weigh the fish in the net then subtract the net. It wont be perfect but alot closer and quicker than estimating with measurements

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Although straying off the point a bit, the most accurate estimator of fish I ever knew was an old friend I fished with as a boy who was a netsman in his day.

I remember years ago catching a fish which I estimated at 10lbs, proudly showing it off only to be met by old Bill who said "Aye a good fish son, I'll give it 9 1/4 lbs"
    The fish was duly weighed when I got home and scaled 9.25lbs.

If only he had still been around today, I'd lay money on the fact that his estimates would be spot on!
    Last edited by Glenboig; 17-02-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Glenboig View Post
    Although straying off the point a bit, the most accurate estimator of fish was an old friend I fished with as a boy who was a netsman in his day.

I remember years ago catching a fish which I estimated at 10lbs, proudly showing it off only to be met by old Bill who said "Aye a good fish son, I'll give it 9 1/4 lbs"
    The fish was duly weighed when I got home and scaled 9.25lbs.

If only he had still been around today, I'd lay money on the fact that his estimates would be spot on!

I think a lot of the old ghillies had this ability. They had killed and then weighed hundreds if not thousands of salmon and their eye would take in the length girth and condition of the fish automatically.

Wink Weigh it or SWAG it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wee-Eck View Post
    I think a lot of the old ghillies had this ability. They had killed and then weighed hundreds if not thousands of salmon and their eye would take in the length girth and condition of the fish automatically.
    A lovely big fish you've caught. Going green here!

I pretty well agree with all the people who have given their advice. I fish with a good friend who has a McClaine weigh net which I presented him on his 50th birthday. The only time I caught a fish when he was near enough to net it for me it was too big for his net LoL. I just use a knotted length of para cord which is attached to my vest and SWAG it (Scientific Wild A---d Guess). One knot for minimum length and another for 20lb length according to Sturdy. Anything longer than that and no-one would believe me anyway!!!!!

I think Wee-Eck has it right. I have been culling Roe in the same area for 26 years and with over 600 deer shot I have developed a feel for the weight of a carcase. Knowing its rough age and the time of year I'm usually within a couple of Lbs, this morning I guessed 35lb and weighed her at 36lb. The Keepers 10 year old boy guessed 40lb so maybe it's not that difficult after all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast