Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default More bad publicity for farmed salmon

Nothing new as such but worth a look. Appears that Scottish farmed salmon has the most toxins!
    As usual the Scottish salmon Industry is playing this down..........
    Salmon health alert | Daily Mail Online

I did my bit in Tesco,s last week.
    As a women was looking at the Salmon fillet i told her about the chemicals and other junk thats in it.
    She said she wouldn,t be buying any more and she was going to tell her friends as well.
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

I'm all for exposing the salmon farming industry but this article is from 2004!

Sorry to change tack slightly, but has anyone considered what might happen if salmon farming was actually stopped? Could we not in fact be out of the fat and in to the fire so to speak. Demand for salmon would still be there, so there would be enormous pressure for commercial netting to increase again. Just a thought, and I'm not involved with salmon farming by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by JRP39 View Post
    Sorry to change tack slightly, but has anyone considered what might happen if salmon farming was actually stopped? Could we not in fact be out of the fat and in to the fire so to speak. Demand for salmon would still be there, so there would be enormous pressure for commercial netting to increase again. Just a thought, and I'm not involved with salmon farming by the way!
    I don't see salmon farming being banned as in any way likely. It is a global industry anyway. What I, and most people I know, would prefer to see is it brought under some meaningful control and ideally brought ashore in closed containment.
    Last edited by Loxie; 03-01-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    I don't see salmon farming being banned as in any way likely. It is a global industry anyway. What I, and most people I know, would prefer to see is it brought under some meaningful control and ideally brought ashore in closed containment.
    The problem is that farmed salmon is no longer seen as an alternative to wild salmon (or any other wild fish for that matter) it's now just a cheap, tasty, nice coloured* foodstuff marketed as being fresh and healthy - and still with the residual 'luxury' association from the past.

I imagine that closed containment would potentially remove the all important 'cheap' from the equation. Its sold at 12 a kilo in the supermarkets - one of the cheapest proteins around. I think sales here would be badly damaged if the price reflected the environmental cost (though I suppose overseas sales with a bigger value add (Scottish!) might be less affected) The industries determination to avoid pricing in the real environmental costs shows you what they think it would do to sales.

* no need to mention the dye to me - I was looking at it from the eyes of the average shopper
    Last edited by ozzyian; 03-01-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    I did my bit in Tesco,s last week.
    As a women was looking at the Salmon fillet i told her about the chemicals and other junk thats in it.
    She said she wouldn,t be buying any more and she was going to tell her friends as well.
    That's the spirit Bushwhacker!!

Hope you've got a Sainsburys near you for when the Tescos 'intelligence' have worked out what you've been up to

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country)

Quote Originally Posted by JRP39 View Post
    It's a fair question - demand and supply and all that. I believe this is one of the SCS arguments also to keep supporting aquaculture.

Like most things (organic chickens vs. intensive broilers being a good example) it's maybe not as big of a threat as we may think given the way most shoppers vote (with their cash) and the price differential will always remain wide.

Ultimately aquaculture has created a doubly unsustainable demand for cheap poor-quality protein. Never a good thing.

However, the bigger question may be begged by what happens across the ponds: the Pacific NW salmon netting industry (which of course was never really ravaged by the economic impacts that aquaculture brought to the Atlantic salmon fishery, and the Canucks are doing a good job of lobbying against the filthy industry [as can be expected by a nation that is dependent on and understands natural resource exploitation]) is an amazing sustainable fishery, with massive production, and their salmon trends for the main fishery species (better understood than ours due to much better data) which is huge, is on the up...

Too Many Salmon in the Sea, Pacific Study Hints | Nat Geo Food

North Pacific 'overcrowded' with salmon as population soars - The Globe and Mail

Funny old thing, nature.

Maybe it's time for a bit of a rethink. "All at sea" and all that.

Personally, if it's not caught by yours truly, I'll only put wild netted smoked salmon on the table (usually Pacific given it's cheaper) and urge anyone else not to buy fake farmed stuff...

Either way, the big picture, apparent after all these decades is that aquaculture is a problem that had unintended consequences to wild fish... And that can also never be a good thing.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties