Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Single Hander Guest

Default Fishery Board thoughts

Hi Gents

Due to the limited fishing I have been this year being poor again and my local rivers Forth and Teith having yet another poor season so far (informed by friends), I would like to see if Scottish anglers are happy with the efforts of their fishery boards and find out about what the boards have been up to on the various systems. I am genuinely interested to see if the majority of Scottish anglers feel their Boards are doing enough with the levy money they receive.

Here on the Deveron we have a very active and good board with a genuine interest in the river.

The big question is now that boards are going to be dismantled what was so wrong with what they were/ were not doing, and how will the new Fishery Management Organisations improve on the angling experience etc?

Also as we are to be charged for a rod liscence for perusing our sport will canoeists have to pay as well to conduct their sport on the same water?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippet321 View Post
    Here on the Deveron we have a very active and good board with a genuine interest in the river.

The big question is now that boards are going to be dismantled what was so wrong with what they were/ were not doing, and how will the new Fishery Management Organisations improve on the angling experience etc?

Also as we are to be charged for a rod liscence for perusing our sport will canoeists have to pay as well to conduct their sport on the same water?
    If its anything like down here the canoeists won,t be charged.
    They do have to put up with some verbal abuse and the odd missile thrown at them though.
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

I think the ESKS board do well and have the best interests of the river at heart.
    Im still looking forward to it changing however.
    There needs to be more input than just riparian owners and a token angling club member.
    It doesn't seem right to me in these days of majority catch and release, that a river board, can ban the prawn, for no other reason that pure snobbery.
    Again, its not right, imposing a preference on fly fishing.
    Especially as the difference between fly fishing and spinning gets less all the time.
    Surely fishing is fishing.
    In a recent thread, on first fish, nearly all had there first fish on a non fly method.
    Most now fly fish, but the got interested, because they caught a fish, not because they flicked some fluff.

For me, our board do a good job, hopefully the changes can let them do an even better job.

Cheers

Mows

hi sh, on the Forth is can't see anything that's been done bar the ritual grass cutting and the odd platform that gets knocked up now and again, or how about increasing baillifing hours to stop poaching at a time when an industrial trawler would struggle to pick out haf a dozen kippers. but that's only the council side of things as for the board who knows what they get up to? how does the average punter get to see what's been done? wait till the end for an air brushed report
    or just get on with it.......
    we pass this way but once ............

Quote Originally Posted by mows View Post
    I think the ESKS board do well and have the best interests of the river at heart.
    Im still looking forward to it changing however.
    There needs to be more input than just riparian owners and a token angling club member.
    It doesn't seem right to me in these days of majority catch and release, that a river board, can ban the prawn, for no other reason that pure snobbery.
    Again, its not right, imposing a preference on fly fishing.
    Especially as the difference between fly fishing and spinning gets less all the time.
    Surely fishing is fishing.
    In a recent thread, on first fish, nearly all had there first fish on a non fly method.
    Most now fly fish, but the got interested, because they caught a fish, not because they flicked some fluff.

For me, our board do a good job, hopefully the changes can let them do an even better job.

Cheers

Mows
    They might have banned the prawn but it hasn't stopped people fishing them, I'v found a few of them while fishing the northie dsc_0163-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wormo View Post
    hi sh, on the Forth........how does the average punter get to see what's been done? wait till the end for an air brushed report
    This link was the very first hit with Google! Surprised you couldd not find it! I have not looked at it other than the home page. It looks to be a pretty comprehensive site.

Default re: Prawn

@MOWS

Have you never seen a prawn fisher totally empty a pool with salmon darting off in every direction - except towards the prawn? It used to be a common sight; thank goodness it is now rare.
    Last edited by castor; 30-09-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by castor View Post
    @MOWS

Have you never seen a prawn fisher totally empty a pool with salmon darting off in every direction - except towards the prawn? It used to be a common sight; thank goodness it is now rare.
    No I haven't castor, though have heard it said. I'm not sure what your point is though.
    Can't be that much different than a canoe going over, a dog in the water, or a foam thrasher.
    They are still in the river.
    It's a bit like Monday fly fishers. They seem to put a lot of fish off for the rest of the week.
    What about the slack pools. Would you have been fishing them with your fly anyway.
    Some may not like the prawn, but that doesn't justify imposing preferences on others.
    I've only ever used it once, a long time ago.

Cheers

Mows

Default Fishery Board thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by wormo View Post
    hi sh, on the Forth is can't see anything that's been done bar the ritual grass cutting and the odd platform that gets knocked up now and again, or how about increasing baillifing hours to stop poaching at a time when an industrial trawler would struggle to pick out haf a dozen kippers. but that's only the council side of things as for the board who knows what they get up to? how does the average punter get to see what's been done? wait till the end for an air brushed report
    The board have a facebook page along with the river forth fisheries trust, which is pretty up to date
    Last edited by allan angler; 30-09-2016 at 10:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast