Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The not so mighty Tay

All but 4 beats out of 26 beats on Fishpal from the middle Tay, Kinnaird to Fishponds on the lower Tay have plenty of availability , hundreds of rod days at that, Unheard of 10yrs ago , Just shows the way salmon fishing is going, and the majority of the beats are priced from 150 to 350 per day, way out of the working mans reach,but there is a couple of beats at less than 100/day, I fished Dalmarnock beat 6 yrs ago and at 100 /day , caught 1 coloured salmon and only seen 2 other coloured fish move in 3 days fishing, in the last week of September ,near perfect river levels at 1ft 6", never again will i fish the Tay in the Autumn, poor then and worse now at up to 350 a day, Some of the catches on these beats in October look better because of the 2 week extension to the season a couple of seasons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by shepter View Post
    All but 4 beats out of 26 beats on Fishpal from the middle Tay, Kinnaird to Fishponds on the lower Tay have plenty of availability , hundreds of rod days at that, Unheard of 10yrs ago , Just shows the way salmon fishing is going, and the majority of the beats are priced from 150 to 350 per day, way out of the working mans reach,but there is a couple of beats at less than 100/day, I fished Dalmarnock beat 6 yrs ago and at 100 /day , caught 1 coloured salmon and only seen 2 other coloured fish move in 3 days fishing, in the last week of September ,near perfect river levels at 1ft 6", never again will i fish the Tay in the Autumn, poor then and worse now at up to 350 a day, Some of the catches on these beats in October look better because of the 2 week extension to the season a couple of seasons ago.
    Well that's a constructive post. Well done for doing your bit.
    FISH ON!!! FISH OFF!!!!

Every river is the same. The back end fish just aren't coming back these days. I certainly agree with the prices. Some beats are still living on their glory days of yester year. This goes for all rivers and not just the Tay but if there are a few people willing to pay then they'll carry on charging over the odds for a day's fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPoker View Post
    Some beats are still living on their glory days of yester year. This goes for all rivers and not just the Tay but if there are a few people willing to pay then they'll carry on charging over the odds for a day's fishing.
    I told Callum Towns exactly that when he asked me to renew Islamouth lets. Somewhere around 1100 rods let last year for 420 fish?
    Come on, I was paying north of 400 for a rod in July which except for February and March is the worst catch returns of the season but the highest price. All based on previous glory years stats.
    It's plain madness, but guess what?
    The rods were snapped up by eager buyers.
    No way to drive the price down.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    I told Callum Towns exactly that when he asked me to renew Islamouth lets. Somewhere around 1100 rods let last year for 420 fish?
    Come on, I was paying north of 400 for a rod in July which except for February and March is the worst catch returns of the season but the highest price. All based on previous glory years stats.
    It's plain madness, but guess what?
    The rods were snapped up by eager buyers.
    No way to drive the price down.
    As the saying goes...' a fool and his money is easy parted'! And as you've illustrated, there are plenty out there.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by shepter View Post
    Maybe you should try the Dee ?

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    As the saying goes...' a fool and his money is easy parted'! And as you've illustrated, there are plenty out there.
    No Westie, my version is "a fool and his money should be parted".
    I have a rod on Pert on Thursday which you are welcome to, no charge.
    Drop me a note if you can make it.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    No Westie, my version is "a fool and his money should be parted".
    I have a rod on Pert on Thursday which you are welcome to, no charge.
    Drop me a note if you can make it.
    Thanks for the kind offer!

Can't make tomorrow sadly, I would certainly have take you up on it if I could.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

I think it must surely have an effect soon. It looks like proper Autumn fishing is fast becoming a memory and surely people won't keep paying big money for a slim chance of a kipper?

I'm not sure how this fits in with the various cycles but it seems that Spring AND Autumn are looking poor, but Summer, given a bit of water, is going great. Of course that could just be where I fish!

I'm sure its just a cyclical thing that will sort its self out in 73 years time, when after the fallout from the North Korean/Russian/Chinese Hydrogen bombs settle on this Earth, the Salmon forging their way unmolested up the rivers will be saying "Wheres all the fishers gone"

To which another fish will say: They will be back its only a cyclical thingy!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast