Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wading staff too tall?

I have ordered a wading staff, it's a collapse able one. Only now have I noticed that it's 4 feet 3 inches extended, I'm 5 foot 3 inches. Would that wading staff be too tall for me? I can't find anyone short enough in my price range

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher147 View Post
    I have ordered a wading staff, it's a collapse able one. Only now have I noticed that it's 4 feet 3 inches extended, I'm 5 foot 3 inches. Would that wading staff be too tall for me? I can't find anyone short enough in my price range

....Why didn't you purchase a nice traditional wooden wading staff with the lead weight and deer horn handle top made to measure....only a suggestion.

I didn't know

No it wont be too long. When your wading you'll be putting the staff in at an angle, feeling the way. Making a triangle. Think Pythagoras.

Also, every one knows when you put something in water the diffraction makes everything look shorter. Any anything that looks shorter is, isn't it.

Thanks dryfly, that helps a lot

Anything from your shoulder down to the ground is spot on size wise. Anything bigger and it's worthless. You want you hand a decent level, not having to hold it up on top of a stick.

Most metal sticks I have seen can be "chopped" with a grinder with no ill effect on usability.

I measured and it goes up to my shoulder

Default staff

I made a cracking wading staff,check out the execel 54 inch hygiene,mop,broom handles ultra light,colour coded handles,bung a sea lead up the bottom end,oh er misses,nice lanyard clipped to your waders 10,
    Stamp aberdeen on the side 100,
    Ta,

I've made several over the years, from various types of wood. With the one i'm currently using, I got the stick from my own garden.I've often asked fishing buddies to guess what type of wood it is. No one has yet been correct. It is from a tall Privet hedge, and is perfectly straight with a fork at the top. There are several more in there that I've earmarked for future harvesting. I've wrapped a self adhesive tennis racquet handle grip just below the fork and this gives a perfect non slip grip on the stick.
    I've found that the ideal length is if they fit under the armpit when standing up straight

Default short staff

I had the same problem - I'm 5ft 6in according to my passport and that's probably an exaggeration. My previous wading stick - a collapsible - was too long and always getting in the way.
    The answer was to buy a Snowbee telescopic staff - its perfect cos I can extend it to the length that suits me and it's never let me down.
    It aint a fancy bit of wood with a stag horn handle but it does the job and extends to exactly the right length (as the Actress said to the Bishop).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast