Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Orkney end of may 2017

Hi. I have just booked a weeks Family holiday for the last week of May next year. We are staying in Kirkwall and although fishing is not the reason for going, I would not mind a few pointers for fishing locations that could be fitted in between family duties.

I am more than happy with trout and as a couple of my family have also registered an interest in having a go (non fishers) trout is probally best.

i did something like that a few years ago - just chased the trout.

if you don't have much time and want some good sport I would recommend KIRBISTER

check out this link

Orkney Trout Fishing Fishing The Lochs

Quote Originally Posted by piker View Post

if you don't have much time and want some good sport I would recommend KIRBISTER

check out this link

cheers looks ideal for introducing newbies.

TonyPrior Guest

At that time of year, for specimen trout: Skaill or Clumly on the mainland, or the Bea loch on Sanday. These are smallish, challenging lochs with some huge trout. All fished from the shore, or used to be. For easier trout: Muckle on Rousay - free-rising trout off the shore, and a fine loch for a family day out. This info used to be right. I hope it still is.

Quote Originally Posted by piker View Post

check out this link

I've done the same; stealing a few family hours in the evening to go for a quick cast. Kirbister was my loch of choice - easy to get to from Kirkwall, easy wading so no need for a boat and relatively accommodating fish. There aren't many monsters in there but it's good loch fishing all the same. From memory (and it is a while ago now) I found the NW of the loch the best.
    We loved Orkney, it's a really nice place. The local food is fantastic if you like that sort of thing - great seafood, great lamb and beef. The beaches are lovely, the birdlife can be spectacular and the general atmosphere of the place is good. Add in the local beer and whisky - you can't go wrong.