Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Keswick
    Posts
    372

    Default Poaching with.....

    .....a rod and line.
    Come on,be honest,we've all done it.....who still does?
    Abdoocted by a Morris Dancing maniac.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Kelso, Roxburghshire
    Posts
    1,791

    Default

    An uncle was staying with my parents near the lower Test. He had recently had minor surgery and was 'itching' to catch a fish. I took him to the Nursling fishings, approaching via Nutsey lane which crossed the Blackwater. Miserable evening and after an hour or so with no seatrout caught I was asked by Uncle G - who, by the way, was a Church of England Bishop - if I knew the tall man walking down the opposite bank. It was Vic Foot the beat Keeper. So I simply and calmly said "no" and suggested that we went back to my Parents' house as a cold mist was rising.

    My Father then asked us the usual questions and, lastly asking where had we been fishing. I told him and also that Vic Foot's arrival had made me decide to leave....it was deep dusk anyway. Slowly my Uncle cottoned on to the fact that we had been poaching. To say that he was furious would be an understatement; "It would be great to be featured in the local paper as found guilty by the Local Magistrates...etc. etc."

    Some years later I did take him to fish on the Slaney and he caught an April salmon. He then admitted that he had dined-out for some years on the story of the poaching episode. [He was a WWII 'day one' Irish volunteer and served as an R.A.F. Chaplin. Left behind in Dunkirk he managed to get across the Mediterranean to North Africa, and from there via. Portugal, back to Ireland...despite being posted "missing - presumed dead". On my Parents' deaths he officiated at their funerals, my Mother's being his last function before his retirement.]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Where the bright waters meet.
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    Yes.....in Ireland on the Blackwater. With a ghillie who convinced me that the reason we were crawling through undergrowth and darting between trees was not to "spook da fockin' fish!"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    802

    Default

    I wade across the river and fish into my own bank sometimes which is technically poaching I suppose. I quite often fish the top 25 yards of a pool just below the beat boundary on my club water. The best bits are always on someone else's beat!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by castor View Post
    An uncle was staying with my parents near the lower Test. He had recently had minor surgery and was 'itching' to catch a fish. I took him to the Nursling fishings, approaching via Nutsey lane which crossed the Blackwater. Miserable evening and after an hour or so with no seatrout caught I was asked by Uncle G - who, by the way, was a Church of England Bishop - if I knew the tall man walking down the opposite bank. It was Vic Foot the beat Keeper. So I simply and calmly said "no" and suggested that we went back to my Parents' house as a cold mist was rising.

    My Father then asked us the usual questions and, lastly asking where had we been fishing. I told him and also that Vic Foot's arrival had made me decide to leave....it was deep dusk anyway. Slowly my Uncle cottoned on to the fact that we had been poaching. To say that he was furious would be an understatement; "It would be great to be featured in the local paper as found guilty by the Local Magistrates...etc. etc."

    Some years later I did take him to fish on the Slaney and he caught an April salmon. He then admitted that he had dined-out for some years on the story of the poaching episode. [He was a WWII 'day one' Irish volunteer and served as an R.A.F. Chaplin. Left behind in Dunkirk he managed to get across the Mediterranean to North Africa, and from there via. Portugal, back to Ireland...despite being posted "missing - presumed dead". On my Parents' deaths he officiated at their funerals, my Mother's being his last function before his retirement.]
    Great story castor. Nursling is a beat I know very well. Amazingly Vic Foot is still about. He caught a salmon this year - the 75th consecutive year he's caught at least one salmon from the same beat! Amazing man.

    Fairhope

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PerryPoker View Post
    I wade across the river and fish into my own bank sometimes which is technically poaching I suppose. I quite often fish the top 25 yards of a pool just below the beat boundary on my club water. The best bits are always on someone else's beat!
    That is not poaching, provided you do not stand and cast or retrieve from below the boundary. If you think about it, the same happens at the top of your beat with those from the beat above.

  7. #7
    Sink23 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollowick View Post
    That is not poaching, provided you do not stand and cast or retrieve from below the boundary. If you think about it, the same happens at the top of your beat with those from the beat above.
    Strange one that, in Scotland it's ok in Norway it's not.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Kelso, Roxburghshire
    Posts
    1,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairhope View Post
    Great story castor. Nursling is a beat I know very well. Amazingly Vic Foot is still about. He caught a salmon this year - the 75th consecutive year he's caught at least one salmon from the same beat! Amazing man.

    Fairhope

    I remember that one day I saw a very elderly man in heavy tweeds fishing the Drawing Room with a 16' rod and small fly spoon. He told me that he was the retired keeper and, I seem to remember, the father or uncle of Vic Foot.

    I am pleased that Vic is holding up so well and enjoying his fishing. Ron Holloway now lives nearby to here at Mertoun and he recounted some of his memories of Vic when we bumped into each other in Kelso Square a year or so ago. He gives one such story in his autobiography. It has to do with being caught poaching when a teenager at exactly the same place - the tail of the small island above the Blackwater junction - by Vic! Read his book to find out more; its a good tale!

    EDIT:

    Apologies to Ron H...got his name right now! Thanks Fairhope.
    Last edited by castor; 26-08-2016 at 11:42 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Kelso, Roxburghshire
    Posts
    1,791

    Default

    The best Irish poaching exploit I remember from my years in Ireland concerned my standing with the hurlers on the sideline on the bridge at the Ridge pool on the Moy - right in the town centre in Ballina.

    A young girl appeared and she carried a short spinning rod with fixed spool reel and a 'Kerryman' spoon at the business end. Both boats were fishing down in the usual way when she slung her spoon upstream and on the second cast hooked a pretty lively salmon. She skull dragged it to the bank where her brother - no more than 7 or 8 years old - dragged it out and firmly clutched the still hooked fish which was then hurled over the high garden wall of one of the now demolished houses backing onto the river pathway.

    I sometimes wonder what happened to that girl and her brother as life progressed. Seem to remember that her parents owned a chemist shop in the town. That two weeks was one of the best fishing holidays I ever had. A lot of the 'goings on' easily beat the stories in an Irish R.M.
    Last edited by castor; 26-08-2016 at 11:06 AM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by castor View Post
    I remember that one day I saw a very elderly man in heavy tweeds fishing the Drawing Room with a 16' rod and small fly spoon. He told me that he was the retired keeper and, I seem to remember, the father or uncle of Vic Foot.

    I am pleased that Vic is holding up so well and enjoying his fishing. Stan Holloway now lives nearby to here at Mertoun and he recounted some of his memories of Vic when we bumped into each other in Kelso Square a year or so ago. He gives one such story in his autobiography. It has to do with being caught poaching when a teenager at exactly the same place - the tail of the small island above the Blackwater junction - by Vic! Read his book to find out more; its a good tale!
    I would think the elderly man you saw fishing the Drawing Room was Uncle Len, Vic's uncle and the keeper before him for more than fifty years.
    I think you mean Ron Holloway who lives on the Mertoun estate and yes I have read his book. You should read 'Keeper' by Donovan as it tells of his time with both Vic at Nursling and indeed Ron at Martyr Worthy and is a wonderful book.
    Great memories castor....thanks for stirring them.

    Fairhope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •