Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Clackmannan
    Posts
    3,226

    Default Repairing the Outer Coating Of A Fly or Running Line?

    What is the best recommended method for repairing a small slice/nic in the outer coating of a fly or running line.
    The inner core is exposed but intact.
    Aquasure to keep it supple?
    Would epoxy work or be too brittle?
    Is there a uv resin that would work or is this also brittle?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    3,905

    Default

    I've used aquasure in the past on a line and it worked very well indeed. But, you need to keep it thin to avoid a nasty bump. I've found I can do that by using a moistened cotton bud to smooth the glue down, and move it all the way around the line so there is a continuous layer.

    I used saliva, no idea if that has special characteristics, but it did the trick.

    I also tried a plastic glue, 1 from pound shop.

    You get what you pay for.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Clackmannan
    Posts
    3,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
    I've used aquasure in the past on a line and it worked very well indeed. But, you need to keep it thin to avoid a nasty bump. I've found I can do that by using a moistened cotton bud to smooth the glue down, and move it all the way around the line so there is a continuous layer.

    I used saliva, no idea if that has special characteristics, but it did the trick.

    I also tried a plastic glue, 1 from pound shop.

    You get what you pay for.
    I have been advised to use aquasure, trying to get a thick enough coating without a bump as you say will be a task.
    I just wondered if bugbond or another uv resin would have worked?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Clackmannan
    Posts
    3,226

    Default Never considered water getting in to internal core?

    Some good points to watch out for.

    Repairing Fly Line Coatings | MidCurrent

  5. #5

    Default

    Make sure you give it a good pull, I had a running line that looked intact but once I gave it a good tug it snapped. Made the decision that day never to repair a running line, too costly if it snaps on a snag or while playing a fish.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denfield Bud View Post
    Some good points to watch out for.

    Repairing Fly Line Coatings | MidCurrent
    I've used this method on a line with an integrated sink tip and as long as you use shrink wrap that is a very tight fit it works perfectly. Make sure the core is not damaged as this is where the strength of the line is.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at
    Posts
    8,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denfield Bud View Post
    What is the best recommended method for repairing a small slice/nic in the outer coating of a fly or running line.
    The inner core is exposed but intact.
    Aquasure to keep it supple?
    Would epoxy work or be too brittle?
    Is there a uv resin that would work or is this also brittle?
    The best method is get a new one. I'd never trust any line with a cut, nick or slice in it.
    Better safe than sorry!!
    "What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?"

    Jack Hargreaves OBE (31 December 191115 March 1994)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •