Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The wandering Ghillie.

This guy gets about a bit:

" The Upper North Wark beat welcome new Head Boatman, Martin Ritchie. Martin has recently moved from the Tay to the Tweed after many successful seasons on this famous river. With sound knowledge and experience of salmon fishing, ghillie work and fly tying."
    Last edited by tenet; 17-03-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

I met a wondering ghillie once.

He wondered how he could stop folk enjoying themselves.

So he lobbied long and hard for the prawn to be banned. Eventually he tired of this and wondered if there was more he could do. So he asked for the river to go fly only, to attract only a "certain kind" of angler.

Eventually of course he got bored of that and wondered a bit more about how he could spoil folks fun even more.

"I know, I'll start a petition", says he

And that worked so well, he found himself with a dwindling number of "sports" with a declining income and wondering when he would be out of a job.

"Aha, it's OK for me, my river's NOT Cat3", says he.

Trebles all round (but not on your hooks, of course).

The End (of salmon fishing as we know it)

:wait: oh, you said "Wandering" IME it's dangerous to have a mind wandering...
    Last edited by seeking; 17-03-2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: better rhyming compo
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

I believe he also owns Tay Salmon Fly

Bloody predictive text -

Default "wandering" gillie

Talk about WANDERING gillies.

A familiar face fishing the Morrum in Sweden last week.
    morrum-fishing-3-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bassfly View Post
    Talk about WANDERING gillies.

A familiar face fishing the Morrum in Sweden last week.
    morrum-fishing-3-jpg
    Not that familiar..Who??
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by tenet View Post
    This guy gets about a bit:

" The Upper North Wark beat welcome new Head Boatman, Martin Ritchie. Martin has recently moved from the Tay to the Tweed after many successful seasons on this famous river. With sound knowledge and experience of salmon fishing, ghillie work and fly tying."
    and, whats your point?

Quote Originally Posted by calhighet View Post
    and, whats your point?
    No point really - the guy was a serial poster on this forum some years ago working I think as a bailiff for the tweed foundation (?). Got his dream job as boatman on the lower Tweed and then another dream job on the Tay at Newtyle after Jock Monteith left. I believe he then worked on a couple more beats setting up in the meantime the Tay Salmon Fly company. I just received the email from Savills advising the latest move back to the Tweed.

I think the title wandering ghillie fits, don't you, especially in a profession known for its longevity of continuity of employment.

Good luck to the guy, no hidden agenda, no axe to grind.

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    Not that familiar..Who??
    Ross MacDonald, Crathes Castle, River Dee.
    He was speaking to promote the Dee at a Fly Fishing exhibition in Halmstad, southern Sweden, and the picture was taken on the Morrum a few days later when he was a guest of Mattias and Jonas from Fiskbloggen. I fish with them on the Dee and we have fished Crathes Castle a few times. Ross is a great guy.

Default The wandering ghillie

Just to put the record straight.Its no secret that martin owns tay salmon fly and he has ghillied on a number of beats on the tay and the tweed and was working on another tweed beat last season before he moved to upper north wark this year.
    I worked for one large company for over 30 years and each time I moved I got a pay rise. So Im pretty sure martin will move around using the same thinking as I and many others will do.
    I wish martin well with his new position and I hope he gets a good few fish from this nice beat.
    But I do have to say I would much rather harl with an engine on my boat than have a pair of oars like he is having to do just now.
    Good luck Martin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast