Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: fly tying

Default fly tying

been asked by a mate to do some rainbow lures for himself and his sons.,,some with coneheads or brass beads.their favourite lure is a yellow dancer this has a white tail,rainbow tinsel and a yellow hackle palmered along hook shank and a coloured brass bead..this is a rainbow lure..i also get asked for salmon flies and these are multi coloured creations the same as the rainbow lure.so why does one get called a lure and the other called a fly,i fish both so just wondered whats the difference

Quote Originally Posted by fishingdaft View Post
    been asked by a mate to do some rainbow lures for himself and his sons.,,some with coneheads or brass beads.their favourite lure is a yellow dancer this has a white tail,rainbow tinsel and a yellow hackle palmered along hook shank and a coloured brass bead..this is a rainbow lure..i also get asked for salmon flies and these are multi coloured creations the same as the rainbow lure.so why does one get called a lure and the other called a fly,i fish both so just wondered whats the difference
    Put some photos up please

hello again,can,t put photo,s on to forum yet,i was asked last year to do some salmon flies for a mate,but he wanted them done with marabou to give them more movement and jc eyes.I done a dozen shrimp patterns and while dry they look very heavy dressed,but when wet they look good,but don,t last very long,,i think,,if you dye your own materials you,ll be able to come up with your favourite colours,,i have,nt tried it yet but can pick up same colour marabou as fox fur,bucktail,and so on.I,m not a pro tyer or anywhere near it just like trying something different sitting at vice and try and find that killer pattern/dressing

Cats whiskers, vivas etc will all work for salmon. As you say marabou isn't the most durable but moves like little else in the water.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

I don,t think its a fear of trying something new that puts people from trying,,its when you get asked on the river what fly you are using,think that's why I got asked to do park shrimps etc,,,until they dry out they are quite convicing,,,and they are only a couple of minutes and a few pence to make