Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Long Winged Flies

Evening Gents
    Do any of you guys who fish the early Scotch rivers fish with the longed wing style of fly ie Sunray shadow/colliedog or do you wait until the water temp warms up a few degrees?I know alot of people have switched to the TD style of fly for the spring but just wondered if any one fished the really long winged type early on.If anyone does fish it what type of setup/style do you use?I was reading an old article by Jimmy Younger and he rekons the sunray shadow style do well on my local river (The EDEN)in the spring!!
    Regards
    BRYAN

ill be giving them a whirl bryan, monkey and tadpoles and TDs to about 5"

will also stick with the trad tubes too of course

No need to wait till the water warms up - I use long winged flies (4"+) a lot from the Feb 1 till the end. In cold water I fish them from subsurface to deep, but am not afraid of the fly swinging round quicker than tradition would dictate. I do know people who will use them on a floater in sub 40f conditions, but I have more confidence in my fly being closer to the fish. Whilst I'm sure some fish will come up in low temps, I believe that more will meet you halfway.

This is quite topical for me as I've spent the day tying, so pattern wise: standard sunray will work just fine, although I prefer a fuller & brighter pattern by adding a gold body and replacing the brown underwing with yellow & red. The Eternal Optimist is also a great fly, combining green with yellow.

Here's a few from today that I'm looking forward to launching in 4 weeks!